• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 rotor alignment

paul1969cars

Local time
5:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi need some assistance

I have my 440 a top dead center and the #1 cylinder is at top of compression stroke. the intermate gear slot is aligned with the cam shaft. All that makes sense.
In this picture. I reinstalled my previous not original distributor and rotor. It is pointing at the #1 spot on dist. cap. Which is correct. and the rotor is basically aligned with the #1 Piston as well

1 aftermarket.jpg

Now I located an original Distributor and had it refurbished. Came out nice. Joe White Distributors did it.
I inserted it in and look at the alignment of the rotor and the vacuum advance. All the setting are still the same. I didn't rotate crank and intermediate shaft is still aligned with the cam shaft.
The rotor is still pointing at the #1 spot on the distributor cap. But now the rotor looks like its aligned in the direction of piston #7. If I rotate the assembly clock wise then the vacuum advance will be touching my heater hoses.

Need some advice if I'm over thinking this or if something is not correct.

1 original rebuilt.jpg

I read several posts on which way to clock the intermediate shaft slot for the distributor and mine was off like yours. I had to pull dist. & jump the IS a tooth back to allow an adjustable orientation.

You have 2 choices:
1. Move the plug wires on the cap.
2. Rotate the intermediate shaft.
Either way don't mess with the crank position.
Remember it rotates counterclockwise and set it so the rotor is almost past the #1 terminal.
Good to go :)

Last edited:
You have 2 choices:
Remember it rotates couterclockwise and set it so the rotor is almost past the #1 terminal.
got it

You have 2 choices:
Remember it rotates couterclockwise and set it so the rotor is almost past the #1 terminal.
is one of your two options a better option or it doesnt matter.

It's your choice.
Like you said you need room to adjust advance without the vacuum canister hitting stuff.
Changing the clocking on the plug wires affects their "looks" routing out of the cap to the plugs.
So it depends where you'd like to have #1 positioned on the cap.
Changing the intermediate shaft is a hidden thing.
As long as the timing ends up right you can do a little of both if you like.

It's your choice.
Like you said you need room to adjust advance without the vacuum canister hitting stuff.
Changing the clocking on the plug wires affects their "looks" routing out of the cap to the plugs.
So it depends where you'd like to have #1 positioned on the cap.
Changing the intermediate shaft is a hidden thing.
As long as the timing ends up right you can do a little of both if you like.
THANKS

Morning

So these are my two options. Just want to make sure that I can do either option.
This first picture with my two fingers indicates
slot in intermediate gear is aligned with cam shaft.
we are at top dead center on compression stroke as well.
The copper contact on the rotor is pointing to the number 2 on the distributor cap.
For this to work I would have to adjust my spark plug wires.
so the number two on cap is really my number 1 and it will be wired to the number one cylinder
and the rotor is pointing to the number one cylinder.

Correct?

This second picture with my one finger indicates
slot in intermediate gear is not aligned with cam shaft.
we are at top dead center on compression stroke as well.
The copper contact on the rotor is pointing to the number 1 on the distributor cap.
For this to work I would have the factory setup of wires.
so the number 1 on cap is my number 1 and it will be wired to the number one cylinder
The only thing is the rotor is not pointing at the number one cylinder.

Correct?

2 number 2.jpg
1 number 1.jpg

Don't know if the 440 will do the same as the 383. Pull the distributor assembly and turn the oil pump gear to left with pressure and it will come up and drop down to the next notch. Had to do this so I would have adjustment room for the vacuum on the distributor would have enough room to turn it and adjust the timing. Mine was running out of room and hitting the radiator hose also.

I don’t fully understand the concept of having the intermediate shaft slot aligned a certain way. I’ve always rotated the crankshaft until the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke and dropped the distributor in so the rotor points to the desired #1 terminal on the cap. As previously mentioned, make sure that there is adequate rotation to adjust the timing. If it’s off, I prefer to move the intermediate shaft.

I don’t fully understand the concept of having the intermediate shaft slot aligned a certain way.
Maybe the FSM sets factory "standard" for service employees, not that it's an "absolute" for all applications ........

1677510356687.png

1677510428797.png

Auto Transport Service
Back