• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Running Rich

68Dodge

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Hello,
I've read alot of posts on this, but I still can't figure out my issue. Here's the run down.

I have the following:
* 440 bored out .030
* 284/484 Cam
* Carter AFB 625 cfm, rebuilt, electric choke. I rebuilt this myself, done this many times in the past. Floats are adjusted correctly. My buddy gave this to me, he also rebuilt it, tried it on his truck and it worked fine. It did the same thing, so it sat on the shelf and I rebuilt it to try it fresh.
* Fuel regulator at 5.5
* Dual plane Edelbrock aluminum intake
* 440 Source Ready to run distributor
* MSD Blaster 2 Coil, bypassing the ballast resister per instructions
* New E3 Spark Plugs
* Bosch Plug Wires 7mm

This is what I've tried:
* Dual Point Distributor, two different Electronic distributor.
* Two OEM coils, another MSD Blaster 2 Coil
* Champion spark plugs, Autolights, and NKG
* Two Edelbrock 750 CFM and Holley 750 CFM
* Autolight plug wires
* Checked for proper sparks with two different inline spark testers.

This is what's happening:
* Car fires up instantly when it's cold.
* Warms up, then starts to run rich at idle.
* Eventually it loads up and dies.
* Hard starting and battery dies.
* Usually, car won't start until it's cold again and after I recharge the battery.

This is what I've tried:
* Mixture idle screws. I turn one at a time close, then back it out bout a 1/2 turn. That usually is about smooth.
* Adjusted the timing while it's warmed up. I adjust to hear it run smooth.
* If it runs smooth at idle, then it won't restart.
* If it runs rough, then sometimes it will fire back up.
* I know the metering rods don't make a difference with idle, but I have put different one to lean it out and still the same.
* I have driven before, but if it dies or if I shut it off, it doesn't want to start, so i don't drive it until I figure this out.

With this combination, a 625 CFM shouldn't be overcarbed for this engine. I have played around with every different options I can think of, timing, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributors, carburetors, I'm also running new high octane gas.

Do I need an MSD setup?
I've read so many posts, google, and tons of youtube videos. All give me different suggestions. But there's not much to test out. I've bought all new items above and bought multiple and they still didn't fix the issue.

Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thank you for your ideas.

Might want to see how much voltage the distributor is getting when it starts to crap out.

Check the vacuum. The 284/.484 cam is vacuum killer and you probably don't have a good ignition curve. Changing the step springs will help.

Check the vacuum. The 284/.484 cam is vacuum killer and you probably don't have a good ignition curve. Changing the step springs will help.
Partially correct..
Depends upon which 284/484 he is running, there are (2) P4120235 and P5007697. Primary difference is the centerline, 108 vs 114. If running P4210235 (108 centerline) the vacuum will be significantly lower than P5007697 (114 centerline)..

Just my $0.02...

Have you observed the choke operation from the cold-start through the entire warm-up ? And, what are your vacuum gauge readings throughout ?

Step up springs do not affect idle if the carb is adjusted properly.
Things to check:
- how much transfer slot is showing below the blades. More than 0.060" is too much...& idle will be rich. Only 1/2 turn out on the mixture screws suggests this....
- what is the idle timing
- with a torch, check for nozzle drip at idle.
- when you say rich: petrol smell from exh, plugs black, all of the above.

Auto Transport Service
Back