• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 spark plug type

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
5:13 AM
Reaction score
DD82A151-1ED3-471C-BEC0-2A9CD45D077A.jpeg
I have a set of 1978 452 heads. Does it take a gasket or tapered plug? Normal length? Any recommendations? The core didn’t come with plugs.

Gasket style J type Champions. I found NGK or Autolite to work the best on my 906 or 915 heads.

You're gonna get all the opinions on this one. :)
I've historically run Autolites in all my 440's - but the one I have now actually prefers the
original equipment Champion J-11Y's better for whatever reason (it's a rebuilt '72 engine with some mods).

I ran Champion J-10's & some J-63's but the NGK's & Autolites did & run better with my 12.4 to 13.2 CR motors.

I ran Champion J-10's & some J-63's but the NGK's & Autolites did & run better with my 12.4 to 13.2 CR motors.
You're in rarified air there, my friend. Homie has always owned the more docile street critters. :)

I used champions for long time, moved operations to Mexico didn't seem to be the same, tried bosch also worked fine. Got deal on ngk from rockauto really like them, new mopars use ngk now also.

Looks like I need the narrow body plugs. These hit the block.

D5686AE9-9BF7-4ADB-996A-B9161DBCECC3.jpeg
so
narrow body plug suggestion?

Last edited:
guys
some 452's take peanut plugs
check for flat or taper seat
you can't tell from the casting number
the motorhome heads with the cooling passages take the small plugs but YMMV

guys
some 452's take peanut plugs
check for flat or taper seat
you can't tell from the casting number
the motorhome heads with the cooling passages take the small plugs but YMMV
That’s exactly what I have (w/ cooling passages at the plugs) but for the life of me I can’t find them.

Looking at your first picture you need the tapered plug. I'll have to find the pics between the both. The "gasket plug" heads have a recessed hole.

You have the motor home heads, tapered plug, takes a 5/8" socket.

These are the 452 passenger car heads. Plugs with a ring or crush gasket. See the recess...
20181021_201010.jpg

Here's yours...that nub is there so you don't use the wrong plug.
DD82A151-1ED3-471C-BEC0-2A9CD45D077A.jpeg

Double check this but I think if you look up a 440-3 engine you'll come up with the right plug. Check the thread depth before installing. Should be Champion RV12YC

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/RV12YC

Last edited:
'Motorhome' heads. Champion OBL9Y or equivalent--you can alter the heat range of course

I may be wrong, those sure look like passenger car, standard heads that take the J series Champion plug. I'd still probably go with NGK or Autolite. Adjust the number based on CR.

Just for grins...might want to clean the paint off the plug hole threads. Plugs need a good 'ground' to work!

not only the safety nub but you can see the raised passages for the cooling holes on each side of the plug compare both heads and see the differences

My mistake, not normal passenger heads, I'm a stupid *** for commenting. Be sure to clean the paint off.

Auto Transport Service
Back