• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 stroker oil pickup

193rdsow

Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
Looking for advice/opinions,

just finished assembling a 440 stroker motor stroked to 500". It should be around 500 HP. I don't anticipate spinning the motor more than 6000 rpm at the track. I have a 6 qt Milodon oil pan, melling high volume pump and a 3/8" pickup. I am also running a scraper type windage tray.

Will the 3/8" pickup be adequate for this engine?

I used 1/2" on mine bigger tube, 7 qt pan with windage tray. You should be fine. I used the 1/2 because the block was made for 1/2" meaning the oil boss that it threads into is for a 1/2" tube. Supposedly there is something special about 68-69 blocks that came with 1/2?? just rumor I heard...

IMAG0488.gif

I used 1/2" on mine bigger tube, 7 qt pan with windage tray. You should be fine. I used the 1/2 because the block was made for 1/2" meaning the oil boss that it threads into is for a 1/2" tube. Supposedly there is something special about 68-69 blocks that came with 1/2?? just rumor I heard...

IMAG0488.gif

Mine is a '69 block and it is 3/8. Yours is a 440 right? I know the hemis
were 1/2". I'm not sure about the 440+6. I have the motor on a stand painted and ready for installation. The thought of opening it back up, drilling it out and having to worry about metal chips...if I knew the 3/8 was adequate, I'd just install it.

Last edited:
It will be just fine! You don't gotta worry, max wedges were 3/8!

Auto Transport Service
Back