• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Water Pump Housing

sstocker31

Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
I did a search with no conclusive results....bummer

I suspect I have the wrong water pump housing on my 440/ 68 charger w/o air conditioning. The one thats on there has passenger side water pickup, and the bolt holes for the thermostat housing are angled rather than straight across the top of the housing. Casting #is 3698468.

Is this the wrong housing......whats on yours???

Part #3698468 Is A 1974 B&C Body 400 & 440 Engine Water Pump Housing. Does The Housing Have A Pentastar Cast Into The Lower Tube? If So, It Fits '70 And Up Applications. Part #2780988 For Your '68 440 Pump W/O Air And The Casting # Should Be 2780987. The '68 440 Water Pump Housing W/Air Is Part # 2780989 And Casting #2780987 (Same Casting # Without Air)

Part #3698468 Is A 1974 B&C Body 400 & 440 Engine Water Pump Housing. Does The Housing Have A Pentastar Cast Into The Lower Tube? If So, It Fits '70 And Up Applications. Part #2780988 For Your '68 440 Pump W/O Air And The Casting # Should Be 2780987. The '68 440 Water Pump Housing W/Air Is Part # 2780989 And Casting #2780987 (Same Casting # Without Air)

Thats what I was looking for.....Thank you very much :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I know this is an old thread, but I have a Oct 1972 block with a Water Pump Housing #3698468. I read all kinds of conflicting information that is was on 72 to 74 440's but I cannot find any direct literature. And this passenger side water pump housing does not show up when you research a housing for any Charger. Do you think this was an experimental part?

From what I remember, the Passenger side water pump housing change was made in 1973 on big block engines and continued until 1978 which was the last year they were installed in trucks and motor homes. I believe the change was made due to some emissions needs that started with the 73 model year. Your Oct 72 engine would have been used in a 73 vehicle. Definitely not experimental.

The change was required to make space for the A.I.R. injection pump.

From what I remember, the Passenger side water pump housing change was made in 1973 on big block engines and continued until 1978 which was the last year they were installed in trucks and motor homes. I believe the change was made due to some emissions needs that started with the 73 model year. Your Oct 72 engine would have been used in a 73 vehicle. Definitely not experimental.
Thank you SixPac, I is still baffled though if you look up or search for OEM parts for a 73 to 75 Charger or Roadrunner water pump housing (for 440) the passenger side does not show up but instead the driver side shows up. The closest that I could find for a passenger side water pump is from Mancini - I am not sure it would fit as the thermostat is pointed a 30 degree angle instead of straight up. I eyeballed it and looks like the same number of wholes but not sure they would line up.

Attached is what my 3698468 looks like. I can buy these online sandblasted and clean.

Charger passenger side water pump.jpg

The change was required to make space for the A.I.R. injection pump.
Thank you Kern that makes total sense! Rock Auto calls is the Air Smog Pump. That could make sense why it is not commonly made as perhaps they know the enthusiasts are not going to want the water pump housing and air pump because the air pump will decrease power and will not sell as well. That's the only thing I can think off as there should be a lot of these out there in use but don't see new OEM models for sale.

Are you looking for a housing?
I will know more next week. So far I have not seen leaks but was looking around and investigating just in case I need to get a new water pump - plus just interesting in the design. And while the rad and water pump are off, mine as well get a new housing - was just looking for just in case at the moment. I get a little worried when the only replacement parts are used ones off of eBay. I was thinking of if I needed to buy a used one just in case.

Last edited:
The water pump itself fits either housing. If you decide you want a different one, I have a couple of them

100_7731.JPG

100_7732.JPG

Thank you Kern that makes total sense! Rock Auto calls is the Air Smog Pump. That could make sense why it is not commonly made as perhaps they know the enthusiasts are not going to want the water pump housing and air pump because the air pump will decrease power and will not sell as well. That's the only thing I can think off as there should be a lot of these out there in use but don't see new OEM models for sale.
The "AIR" pump was used to inject air into the exhaust manifolds to increase the heat in an attempt to reduce emissions. They had to mount it somewhere. In some models, the power steering pump was mounted higher and the "smog" pump was mounted below it. Nobody would install one of these in the name of performance but one might if their car had to comply with emission testing in their state.

The "AIR" pump was used to inject air into the exhaust manifolds to increase the heat in an attempt to reduce emissions. They had to mount it somewhere. In some models, the power steering pump was mounted higher and the "smog" pump was mounted below it. Nobody would install one of these in the name of performance but one might if their car had to comply with emission testing in their state.
Yeah very true, I remember my 1986 Mercedes when I had it and we had to abide by emissions laws - inspections used to be a probe in your tail pipe. In NC, cars over 35 years old don't need any inspection whatsoever.

Thank you Six. Was curious , where did you find them? Did you work on '73 to '76 440 engines?
I did have occasion to deal with a few of those later 440's. I ordered a new truck in late 77 because I knew the 440 was going away and that 78 was the last year for them. I put a little over 500K miles on that truck so I had a couple engines in reserve in case I needed them. When I built my brothers 70 Challenger for my niece, I used one of the 440 engine for her car but it needed the earlier water pump housing so I have a couple of the right side outlet housing on hand. I sold my truck also so don't have a need for any of them anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back