• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440source

StreetWedge65

Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
Looking for pros/cons on 440source stroker kits. Thinking of building a low deck 470. Nothing too crazy. Maybe 450hp

Ive built a few of them. Good kits for the price. They will need pin fit and like anything else, careful assembly with attention to detail. I have a 400/511 in my roadrunner.

D6D34F8A-7708-4349-9D3D-ABA5573B4E6E.jpeg
55FD6718-8F44-4E1D-9440-3626075187CD.jpeg

I just got a rotating assembly from them. I like what I've see so far. My piston pin fit is perfect. The pistons are from Icon and the rods are scat. The only thing that I would have preferred is that the rotating assembly come rough balanced and had my machine shop do the balancing but they won't sell the kits unbalanced anymore.

You won't have any trouble making 450hp from 470ci.

Nothing wrong with the 440 Source Kits, but same as with anyone's Kits best have it checked by your Machine Shop.

But that said, 450 hp from a "470" ?
Obviously very easily accomplished, but make I ask why ?
Given the lack of an extended hp goal, there are abvious trade-offs to the 470 option that you should be cognizant of, assuming of course that this is a street driver type effort ?
Nothing wrong with the 1.48" C.D. piston "per se", but I would suggest a T/Plate, a Shop familiar with using one, and don't get stoopid with the Piston to Wall Clrc.
The 6.535" Rod Ratio Engine is a little deeper breathing, and will like a little more Cam and Heads.

But for "450 hp" ?
You could rebuild a .030" over Cast Crank 440 with ly Rods/ARP Bolts, ICON 9953 Pistons, Balance it, use some Stealth Heads W/xe274H CompCam and be done.

They get my vote. People will tell you to "have the balance checked" This is bullshit ... there is no such thing as "checking" balance - you either balance it or you don't. Trust their balance job - they do hundreds of these things.

For the same money, you can go bigger and still run pump gas! I used the 440source 400/512 kit. Went together well. Usual fitting issues but no problems. Runs strong and great! I just thought if I could go pump gas and run on the street, why not go as big as I can get? The 512 goes great on the street at 9:7 CR dish pistons and and as much squish (quench) as possible. Looks like a little ole 383! Lol! Would do it all over again the same way!

Good luck on your build

For a good reliable street motor keep the pin height and stroke reasonable so you don't end up with a really short piston skirt. This will minimize piston rock and wear and will allow tight quench. Also try to stay close to a .030 overbore so you don't end up with thin walls. I think the 470 kit meets these criteria and would be a great combo.

They are floating pins yes. 440sourse tells you when you buy the kit that the pins may be to tight because of different manufacturers of the parts and may need honed to fit. Mine didn't so not all need this.

Did you buy their chamfered main bearings or did you chamfered them youself?

I'm sure the 512 would definitely out perform an equally built 470. I just need to build a strong, dependable and reliable low deck engine. I really don't like the pins in the ring lands on anything other than a racecar. Reason for a low deck build is for clearance only. After pulling the RB 493 from my 68' Dart just to change the starter, a low deck is replacing it. Of course the 2" TTI headers didn't help matters. I don't plan on racing it anymore.

Just ordered a 470 kit, like they say in their footnotes check pin fit and ring gap. Goes to ballance and should have next week some time. PS no more free shipping. Have a set of their heads at the machine shop and they said the valve job was terrible,guides were good and did a bowl blend under the seats to get rid of the ridge. 440 said they all need fluffing, you get what you pay for I guess. Hopefully the rotating kit needs no fluffing. Good news on the Icon pistons and Scatt rods though. Still up in the air on cam, got to get the rest of the combo sorted. Will probably give Jones cams a call for a recomendation . Going in a Duster or might pull the 440 in the runner and do a swap for the 470. Decisions decisions??

if you seek my post form a couple of weeks ago, me and a work mate did a 438ci with 440 source kit and Edelbrock RPM heads an a middle of the road Lunati Voodoo hydraulic flat tappet. did 540 torque and 502 HP on the first pull.

your 470 should do really good.

Good kits for the price. The balance job was fine on the two stroker engines I have. The first engine the machine shop shop "re-balanced" the kit and added weight to the crank. The engine vibrated. Took engine to another shop and they removes the weight the first shop installed putting the balance back to how the kit was delivered. So on the second stroker kit, I bought a good scale and rod balance fixture, and weighed all the parts, and verified the balance weight was the same as what the crank paper work came with. I put that engine together with the balance as delivered from 440 source, and it runs great, and no vibrations. I am helping Dan build a 505" stroker with the 440 stroker kit and the optional light weight crank. We will be checking the balance weights on that one too just to verify we come up with the same numbers. There are other things to check and maybe correct, like piston pin to rod fit, the rings are file to fit, and double check the bearing chamfer to make sure the bearing is not on the radius of the crank. If it is on the rods, you will have very little rod side clearance. If using a manual transmission, the hole in the rear of the crank for the input shaft bushing is not finished to size, so the hole needs to be finished to size for the bushing, or you can just use the roller type bearing.

My 470 kit from 440SOURCE was perfect, just had to file fit the rings. Also I’m using a 4 speed and asked if the crank was drilled for the bushing and was told they were. My bushing installed easily and no problems with the input shaft going into it.

The 470 revs like a crotch rocket and has soooo much torque I can punch it in 4th and it just leaps forward, almost like an automatic does when it down shifts to pass.

Also I’m using a 4 speed and asked if the crank was drilled for the bushing and was told they were. My bushing installed easily and no problems with the input shaft going into it.

Mine too !

With regards to the heads, my Indy's needed the valve seats touched up too. I think any "production" stuff would need going over. You want "ready to run" you pay extra for someone to build you a set of heads, like Porter or someone like that.

For now, maybe not next week, we have 91oct ethanol free fuel. I need to decide which head I'm going with before I order the rotating assembly. The EZ 1's need a little freshening up. The Eddy's are ready to bolt on. Lots of compression options between a 75cc head and a 84cc head.

Auto Transport Service
Back