• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440x6 fast idle and stalls

Jeff Erwin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
71 Charger, 440x6 which runs very smoothly but has two issues I can't seem to solve.

It idles fast and when I put it in gear (auto) the rear carb spits up gas and it floods. No vacuum leaks anywhere, air/fuel screws on center carb 1.5 turns out, timing at about 12d btdc when vacuum advance is disconnected, advances to about 20 when vacuum advance connected.

I've tried advancing and retarding ignition, still floods when I put it in gear. I'm starting to think I may have a carb issue. Carbs were completely rebuilt several months ago, and the car runs very smoothly, no lag on hard acceleration and the outer carbs open when I expect them to.

Is this a carb issue? Floats? Something else?

This is a new issue. Not sure what changed.

first on the high idle are any of the carbs binding?Are you using a solenoid for the idle? I dont use the solenoid on my 6 pack. Did you check you float level/side cap remove and gas should be even with the bottom of the hole.

first on the high idle are any of the carbs binding?Are you using a solenoid for the idle? I dont use the solenoid on my 6 pack. Did you check you float level/side cap remove and gas should be even with the bottom of the hole.
Not using the solenoid. Idle set screw is all the way out.

I seem to have two issues: fast idle and the rear carb spitting up and flooding the engine when I put it in gear. I did check the float levels when I rebuilt the carbs, may be causing the flooding issue?

Gas out the top is a carb issue, Adjustment, float, pressure, dirt in the seat. Take your pick.

I see two problems:
- carb spitting gas. That needs to be fixed. Float level, leaking float, binding float, dirt in n/seat.
- I assume you are using ported VA. If idle timing advances when you connect VA, it means the t/blades on the VA crab are open too far.

What is your idle rpm?
Do you have a heavy "clunk" when going in gear or is it smooth?
Sounds like your too high idle rpm lets the torque converter drop too much load on the engine. (sudden load increase could cause vacuum controlled carb to react)
Lower your idle and see if it still spits fuel.

I see two problems:
- carb spitting gas. That needs to be fixed. Float level, leaking float, binding float, dirt in n/seat.
- I assume you are using ported VA. If idle timing advances when you connect VA, it means the t/blades on the VA crab are open too far.

Idle timing definitely advances when VA is attached. From 10btdc to about 18. I thought this was expected behavior?

Oh, in case you have one...disconnect and plug your PCV valve port on the carb in case it is not working (properly).
Assuming you have no vacuum leaks it could be drawing in excessive air through the PCV.

Jeff,
Post #8. It VA is connected to manifold vacuum, that is correct. If VA is connected to a ported source, then it is a problem because t/blades are open too far at idle.

Jeff,
Post #8. It VA is connected to manifold vacuum, that is correct. If VA is connected to a ported source, then it is a problem because t/blades are open too far at idle.

VA is connected to the VA port on the center carb. I set the timing to about 10btdc with the VA disconnected. WHen I connect the VA the timing advances to about 20btdc. Are you saying this should not be happening?

Auto Transport Service
Back