• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

46RH will not upshift at full throttle

There are many ports on the right side of the trans. I have the pressure switches that control overdrive connected to the one that should be 1:1 with MPH as per the instructions from PATC, Marked as 4 in pic, and it works. Is that the line pressure port? And which one would be governor pressure?

1705069174563.png

I'm not certain on the 46RH, but a 727 governor port is on the tailshaft near the speedo gear.
Screenshot_20240112_082714_Gallery.jpg

Bouchillon cable kit came in yesterday. I have to make a bracket to mount it and the Lokar throttle cable to the carb. Should be able to drive it this afternoon and see if this $325 experiment has any merit?

Surprisingly, the Bouchillon cable kit made a noticeable difference in drivability. Adjusted the cable to have trans kick down lever at full stroke when carb is at WOT. Slow and medium speed shifts are just a tad late. But still wont shift at WOT, shift firmness is much better. The Bouchillon carb bracket is made to operate in a circular pattern, it starts pulling on the cable quickly, then pulls it more slowly till it gets to WOT.

As for the engine falling off and backfiring at 5000ish rpm. Today I watched my AFR gauge closely as it pulled over 5000rpm, AFR's were at 10.5 when it laid down. Going lean is not likely.

I am thinking it may be an ignition problem. The 440 is still using the stock 1978 distributor. I am going to take the MSD Distributor from the Hemi and try it the 440.

20240118_183334.jpg

Did you ever figure out the issue with the wot shift?

A couple of things. The trans may have had a governor or weight change requiring higher shift points. Dont know for sure. The engine in the car may have weak valve springs that can not keep the valves closed under boost. I recently bought a new set of valve springs but have not installed them yet.

Thank you. Please post if you find the issue. Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back