• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470" Source Stroker Kit Opinions

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Any of you guys running their 400.470.5076 kit and have an opinion to share? 4.375" bore (.035" over), -27 dish pistons .002 below deck, 9.4:1 compression with 78cc heads and .039 head gasket.
Other parts I have in a motor now that am thinking of reusing: Racer Brown SSH-44 HFT 242/242 duration @.050 .543 intake/.510 exhaust valve lift 108 lobe separation, Harland Sharp rockers 1.6 in 1.5 ex, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Quick Fuel Q-850, TTI headers.
And a new set of Trick Flow 240's to replace the Stealths I was using.

Currently I have Sources 400-451-5068 4.382 (.042 over) -12 dish .023" below deck 9.6:1 compression.

69 Road Runner, 4-speed, Strange 60 3.54, 28" tall rear tires. Looking for 550 hp and torque, which it should easily make.

Find Dominic, Thumper Carbs, on facebook, ( I don't go there, never been). He's been running a tunnel rammed 470 for years, and it flies. I'm sure his has more compression than the kit you're looking at. If I remember right, he's got home ported rpm's on it. Nine second street driver.
I would think 550 out of your proposed combo should be no problem (maybe a little more camshaft.....)

Last edited:
I'm not a builder, but I'm sure 550 HP is no problem. I guess the SSH -44 may be a little small. Great mid perf cam back in the day. My bet is the TF 240's will want more. Just my opinion.

I'm not a builder, but I'm sure 550 HP is no problem. I guess the SSH -44 may be a little small. Great mid perf cam back in the day. My bet is the TF 240's will want more. Just my opinion.
I am not opposed to buying a different cam by any means. Just kind of scared about all the lifter failures going on right now, and this one has been fine, probably 4000 miles on it. Not that it couldn't crap out the next time I turn the key though....

I run an Engle cam (model# K62) in my 505" stroker from 440 source with great results. It is a .539" lift and 244 duration at .050" lift and 110 degree lobe separation. That motor is roughly 10.6:1 compression also. It runs like a scalded dog. I know it could probably handle more cam, but on the street with the 4 speed and 3.55 gears its all I'd wanna deal with in traffic and such. I guess it depends what you are doing. Racing, sure it'd take way more cam and make steam at 6500RPM, but on the street mine still idles well at 900-950 RPM and will boil the tires pretty much on command through first and second. It was a bit more ballsy through 3rd gear with the 3.91's in it, but it sucked on the thruway when we would take a longer ride. I really like my combo on the street with the stick. I can run the thing up to 100MPH in a bit more than a few seconds so where the hell are we going but into the corn fields when I can't steer the bitch anymore haha! Just figured I would let you know my experience with my car, as I know you run the 4 speeds also.

I run an Engle cam (model# K62) in my 505" stroker from 440 source with great results. It is a .539" lift and 244 duration at .050" lift and 110 degree lobe separation. That motor is roughly 10.6:1 compression also. It runs like a scalded dog. I know it could probably handle more cam, but on the street with the 4 speed and 3.55 gears its all I'd wanna deal with in traffic and such. I guess it depends what you are doing. Racing, sure it'd take way more cam and make steam at 6500RPM, but on the street mine still idles well at 900-950 RPM and will boil the tires pretty much on command through first and second. It was a bit more ballsy through 3rd gear with the 3.91's in it, but it sucked on the thruway when we would take a longer ride. I really like my combo on the street with the stick. I can run the thing up to 100MPH in a bit more than a few seconds so where the hell are we going but into the corn fields when I can't steer the bitch anymore haha! Just figured I would let you know my experience with my car, as I know you run the 4 speeds also.
Just looking for a fun hot street motor. will never see the track and I could care less what the motor is doing above 5800 rpm or so. That is one reason I don't really think I need the 512" version, plus the compression ratios are way more than I want with Source's 512 kits.

Just looking for a fun hot street motor. will never see the track and I could care less what the motor is doing above 5800 rpm or so. That is one reason I don't really think I need the 512" version, plus the compression ratios are way more than I want with Source's 512 kits.

I should also mention mine is the 440 version, but the characteristics should be similar. My compression ratio was predetermined by the parts I had to use from the motor I had before that failed. I would have liked to be around 10.1:1, but I run 93 octane and haven't had any issues to date. I just heard alot of bigger cam bigger cam but I settled for a "bigger" streetable cam. It rumps around quite a bit at idle and makes power in the lower midrange usable power area. Any more steam, and it'll just twist the car in half.

Hunt, the 470 with the TF heads & SSH-44 should be a lot of fun on the street. I expect gas quality would not be a problem. At 5800 RPM it won't need more air for the TF heads, IMHO.

Guess I struggle with giving up 40 cubes for the same price. Especially given the 3.54 gear and all. A 4.250 stroke crank will give you more low end torque. With the 240 heads and small cam it’ll just be a big torque’y bitch. Let the clutch out and hold on. The one in my roadrunner I shift at 5800 rpm with a standard port window intake. And it has more cam in it. Only combo I would consider on a new build, it’s too easy. I’ve built 3 of them now with source kits. I drive this car almost daily, it cruises around like a 12 sec car until you hit the loud pedal.

But yes, 550hp should be easy enough with 470 cubes and the 240’s. Although I would want the compression up to 10.1

219F00CE-501E-4C58-AB64-7E9DD38EBBC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Guess I struggle with giving up 40 cubes for the same price. Especially given the 3.54 gear and all. A 4.250 stroke crank will give you more low end torque. With the 240 heads and small cam it’ll just be a big torque’y bitch. Let the clutch out and hold on. The one in my roadrunner I shift at 5800 rpm with a standard port window intake. And it has more cam in it. Only combo I would consider on a new build, it’s too easy. I’ve built 3 of them now with source kits. I drive this car almost daily, it cruises around like a 12 sec car until you hit the loud pedal.

But yes, 550hp should be easy enough with 470 cubes and the 240’s. Although I would want the compression up to 10.1

View attachment 1359254
With my 78cc Trick Flow heads, the lowest compression ratio is 10.4:1 with the 512 source kits. I really want to be at a max of 9.6 - 9.7:1. Your heads must have a bigger chamber than mine?

With my 78cc Trick Flow heads, the lowest compression ratio is 10.4:1 with the 512 source kits. I really want to be at a max of 9.6 - 9.7:1. Your heads must have a bigger chamber than mine?

Nope, Indy heads. It’s 10.5:1. Works good on pump premium.

10.4 will work on pump 91, with aluminum heads, if you use enough camshaft. And then there is always the option of a thicker head gasket.

I just built a source 512 with trick flow 240’s and the TF HR for a friend of family. Going in a 70 challenger street car!

23E845CA-F9A4-4345-B107-FCDDF62E7CAB.jpeg

10.4 will work on pump 91, with aluminum heads, if you use enough camshaft. And then there is always the option of a thicker head gasket.
Thought about a thicker head gasket, but not sure how thick it would have to be to drop to 9.7:1. And then I would lose my quench, correct?

Thought about a thicker head gasket, but not sure how thick it would have to be to drop to 9.7:1. And then I would lose my quench, correct?
Yes you would lose quench , IF you have any in the first place. iF, you are very near zero deck, and you have a D-dish piston that actually has some piston head against the head deck.
Next question is: how important IS quench. I don't know that answer, only that Mopar big blocks from the factory didn't have any, for at least ten years.
You can experiment with head gasket thickness changes on Wallace's site.

I am not a motor guy and really don't know how important quench is either. Was talking to Dwayne Porter the other day. He said that he wouldn't build a new motor without a quench. I have heard others say it really doesn't matter much.

The 10.4 combo with a .035 compressed gasket goes to just under 9.8 with a .070 gasket. Looks like a .120 gasket will drop it to around 9 to 1.
Edit and that assumes that the block is decked so that it IS zero deck. Mopar decks are typically "generous" compared to blueprint specs. You might find that you are really .020 in the hole.

What gas do you plan to run? Why is it so important to get the compression down?

Auto Transport Service
Back