• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 suregrip. Thrust button missing?

Moparnocar

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Putting new axle bearings in ( not green). I read the trust button pin breaks, I don't see any, what's the deal?

Photo

IMG_20220609_115947780.jpg

Also, how hard should it be to turn the gear set out of car? I can't do it by hand, but could with drive shaft connected

Cone type sure grips have a thrust spacer, and it looks like it is there. You should be able to turn the pinion yoke by hand.

Cone type sure grips have a thrust spacer, and it looks like it is there. You should be able to turn the pinion yoke by hand.
I can,only by getting it going using a screwdriver, then turns good until I stop, I could be weak...

Also, supposed to be 391, this is the only marking I can find

IMG_20220609_122653449.jpg

Is this new or used? Turn it over and count, one turn of ring gear equals 3.91 turns of yoke. A 3 year old should be able to turn it by hand. if not something is wrong. If no backlash then don’t bother installing it.

hold yoke and see how much free movement of the ring gear. .006-.010 should be there

Or the pinion preload is too tight. They are only supposed to be around 20inlbs or so (don't have the manual in front of me) turning torque. As just mentioned a 3 year old could turn it.

Looks like 3.91 by the ring gear size.

Ugh, a 3 year old could not turn it, looks like I'm going to 355 sooner. No idea how old, just bought the car

Look at the driver side of the case and you should see a single large number. A "2" is for a 742 case, a "9" is for a 489 case, and an "X" is for a 741 case. These numbers also are the last number of the casting number near the bottom on the same side.

Edit: Added X for 741; I forgot it

Last edited:
Turning the U joint yoke should be easy with one hand. In order to get a good pattern check you need to put friction on the ring gear. My guess is too tight pinion bearing.

Aftermarket gear sets are not always stamped with the ratio. The marking in the pic sure looks aftermarket to me.

Looks like they wrote the backlash on the ring gear. Now whether that is what it is set up as now or what they wanted it to be is the question.

Look at the driver side of the case and you should see a single large number. A "2" is for a 742 case, a "9" is for a 489 case, and an "X" is for a 741 case. These numbers also are the last number of the casting number near the bottom on the same side.

Edit: Added X for 741; I forgot it
It's a 489

Aftermarket gear sets are not always stamped with the ratio. The marking in the pic sure looks aftermarket to me.
Count the teeth on the ring gear then count the teeth on the pinion
Divide the ring count by the pinion count.
100% accurate - no guessing

Auto Transport Service
Back