• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

489 suregrip. Thrust button missing?

I just bought this car, and a bad axle bearing, that's why I took it apart. I'm gonna ride the gear set as is, while i look for affordable 355's. It actually was quiet driving, just the axle bearing was toast

Looks like they wrote the backlash on the ring gear. Now whether that is what it is set up as now or what they wanted it to be is the question.
That is the number the manf set it up at in the lapping machine.
Essentially what you are shooting for at setup.

Well, went for a test drive, axle quiet, but can hear those gears a bit
However, the driver's Axl seal is now leaking..... It was a new national seal, didn't replace outer seal or bearing. Adjusted the axle for tiny bit of play also,.....great

Any tips on installing the inner seal? I put it in square, all the way back, and was careful putting the axle in

Sound like you did it right. Did you put some lube on the seal and axle so it’s not dry? I’ve had trouble lately, and never have any before. All I’ve seen lately is Centeic brand.

What brand was your seal?

Sound like you did it right. Did you put some lube on the seal and axle so it’s not dry? I’ve had trouble lately, and never have any before. All I’ve seen lately is Centeic brand.

What brand was your seal?
Yes, lubed and national brand. I've been reading the level should be 1" below the hole. I wonder if that and a plugged vent is causing it

Auto Transport Service
Back