• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$5,600 Bill for Some Tail Lamps?!

Sam69sat

Local time
10:18 PM
Reaction score
Not a mopar but damn, aren't modern electronics great?

Wait till your insurance finds out about that one

Yep going to get real crazy in the parts department.

That video went viral a few weeks ago.
I bought a new Ram a couple years ago and that video got me thinking about the factory extended warranty junk mailings I get from Ram regularly.
I treat and maintain my vehicles well and by and large they’ve treated me well in return over the last 40+ years I’ve owned cars. And I’ve been mechanically inclined enough to deal with the majority of problems I’ve had, to be able to fix myself at low cost.
But with all the complex electronics and computers on vehicles nowadays I suspect I’m in over my head with most future problems I’ll encounter. I got screwed 20 years ago on an aftermarket extended warranty a salesman conned me into buying on a late model used car I was buying, and swore I’d never buy another. But now I’m strongly leaning towards spending the $3000+ on a factory extended warranty on my Ram!

That video went viral a few weeks ago.
I bought a new Ram a couple years ago and that video got me thinking about the factory extended warranty junk mailings I get from Ram regularly.
I treat and maintain my vehicles well and by and large they’ve treated me well in return over the last 40+ years I’ve owned cars. And I’ve been mechanically inclined enough to deal with the majority of problems I’ve had, to be able to fix myself at low cost.
But with all the complex electronics and computers on vehicles nowadays I suspect I’m in over my head with most future problems I’ll encounter. I got screwed 20 years ago on an aftermarket extended warranty a salesman conned me into buying on a late model used car I was buying, and swore I’d never buy another. But now I’m strongly leaning towards spending the $3000+ on a factory extended warranty on my Ram!
Don't pay $3000 plus. Ziegler will offer the plan for half that. I have Max care on my 22 Ram for 8 years and the wife's 22 Charger and the cost was less then $1500 each.

Read the fine print and make sure in writing.most warranties have a drop off date and have been screwed by them. Was told in a five year warranty that the water was off warranty two years sgo so that not covered anymore. Each part has a life expiration date even if you think your covered. What they did for me because I botched so much they cut the labor rate so I would shut up. Well I didn't and finally got it replaced for free. Then you think the new part would be under the rest of the five warranty it's not so read fine print folks.

I thought the factory sponsored extended warranties were pretty trustworthy?
A friend of mine bought a Chrysler lifetime extended warranty on a 2500 he bought 9 or 10 years ago when they still offered that, and uses his truck to tow car trailers all over the country, with over 300,000 miles on the truck he’s gotten a new transmission and new engine already out of that warranty and I believe his transmission failed again recently so he may have gotten a second one by now.
One stipulation is that the work must be done at a CJDR dealer, I know that.
I got screwed on an aftermarket warranty I found out when I took the car in when its auxiliary water pump went bad. Also the A pillar leaked when it rained. I took it to a dealer, they called me the next day and said “your warranty company denied your repairs, it doesn’t cover leaks”. I guess by that definition, if my transmission failed, they’d have denied that due to leaking ATF when it failed?
I canceled the warranty right after that and got a pro rated refund, but still lost hundreds on that rip off warranty!!:mad:
Good thing I canceled it other than the fact it was apparently good for nothing, that company went bankrupt less than a year after I got my pro rated refund.
I‘ve heard lots of stories about how Car Shields fine print allows them to deny many if not most claims.
So yeah, no aftermarket car warranties for me again, ever!

I have not encountered a competent Chrysler Service shop. Ever. No Extended warranties for me.

There have got to be at least a few straight forward, up front extended warranty companies around. You'd think that otherwise that industry would get yoked by the government. Not a chance. Generally, you get what you pay for and pay for what you get. Current as well as coming regulations squeeze American car/truck manufacturers into an increasingly deeper corner of the transportation marketplace with the associated industries being pushed right along with them and unless you can purchase tools like vacuum encased robotic arms and the associated nanotechnology to manage repairs to many of the currently required components you're faced with a large (relatively speaking) component replacement tab. That merely gets your repair started. You can likely have to do programming, resetting, removal and/or replacement of nearby and associated parts that might not put up with removal without damage (examples like serpentine belts that are one time use - they must be cut for removal). So here we are, literally putting up with the future.

Auto Transport Service
Back