• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 68 Charger Rear Parking Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

odin

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
The 68 Charger I bought this summer has a lot of new metal and needs a lot of various parts. I need a pair of rear parking lamps for the rear valance. I can not find them searching the internet, which seems weird. Are there no aftermarket reproductions being made?
IMG_9153.JPG

Rear parking lamps? Do you mean taillights? Put out a request on the Parts Wanted forum or you can spend $1000 on aftermarket.

The reverse lamps are in the taillights on a 68... They are on the rear "valence" in 69-70..

Rear parking lamps? Do you mean taillights? Put out a request on the Parts Wanted forum or you can spend $1000 on aftermarket.
there are two pre-made holes in the rear valance just above the exhaust tips. I know where the tail lamps and backup lamps are located. These are different. The only terminology I have seen references them as parking lamps similar to the listed parking lamps located in the front valance

The reverse lamps are in the taillights on a 68... They are on the rear "valence" in 69-70..
You are correct about the reverse lights. I am looking for the parking lamps that mount in the rear valance just above the exhaust tips

You are correct about the reverse lights. I am looking for the parking lamps that mount in the rear valance just above the exhaust tips
You have the wrong rear valance on your 68 charger. Just weld up the holes. Only 69 and 70 chargers have back up lights just above the exhaust tips. No parking lamps.

There is no such thing on a 68…Reverse lamps are in back and parking lamps go in the front.

You have the wrong rear valance on your 68 charger. Just weld up the holes. Only 69 and 70 chargers have back up lights just above the exhaust tips. No parking lamps.
well crap, this car is already full of new metal and painted. It is my first B-Body. Are you saying with 100% certainty that someone put the wrong rear valance on it? That would easily explain why I can't find 68 rear parking lamps, LOL. I don't prefer to weld up huge holes like those and repaint. This car is far from original and I am not a purist. I honestly would rather fill the holes with the light assemblies that fit. If you are correct, then I should be looking for something that fits.

Last edited:
This is why I love these sites. I am a member of For A-Bodies Only and For E-Bodies Only as well as most recently this one. Each group has great knowledge that I have tried to absorb over the years. Thanks to your input I have learned that I in fact do have the incorrect rear valance on my new car. The 68 Charger has a 69-70 rear valance among all the new metal. Now I have to decide whether or not to replace the valance on a car that already has body and paint completed or weld up the huge holes in this valance or install lamps that fit the holes. Thanks to those who continue to provide education without attitude.

Keep in mind if you do put the lights in as a quick fix they must be wired and work. At least that is the way it is here in Pa. for inspection. I am sure it’s similar in Ca. as stuff is crazy in that state.
These are what you are searching for.

well crap, this car is already full of new metal and painted. It is my first B-Body. Are you saying with 100% certainty that someone put the wrong rear valance on it? That would easily explain why I can't find 68 rear parking lamps, LOL. I don't prefer to weld up huge holes like those and repaint. This car is far from original and I am not a purist. I honestly would rather fill the holes with the light assemblies that fit. If you are correct, then I should be looking for something that fits.
Yes, Google 68 dodge charger images. And look for yourself.

Putting 69-70 reverse lights in just to fill the holes will look weird IMO. If you're not too picky you can get some decorative stickers (thick ones) in a round shape just bigger than the cutouts and cover them up. I did this on a '68 RR that had a '69 RR rear bumper on it. Of course that example is an easier fix to just switch the bumper to a '68 one. But I was being cheap LoL.

I know it sucks but really any competent shop could patch those holes and mask off the rest to paint it. Those bumpers come right off to do the job. It's a nice car and you came this far....

68 is unique. Why not keep it that way? If that's black color that's a Bullet car and it would look great if you make it original.

Putting 69-70 reverse lights in just to fill the holes will look weird IMO. If you're not too picky you can get some decorative stickers (thick ones) in a round shape just bigger than the cutouts and cover them up. I did this on a '68 RR that had a '69 RR rear bumper on it. Of course that example is an easier fix to just switch the bumper to a '68 one. But I was being cheap LoL.
the more i talk to people, the more i think the holes will get welded up and repainted to give it the proper 68 look. Close examination shows me this valance is not bolted in - instead they welded it into place!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back