• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 from a 2013 ram 4x4?

BeeBody

Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
As the title says, I found a 5.7 with 3,000 km on it for a good price (I think). But it is out if a 4x4.
I want to put it in a 68 coronet.
I know people are using the 5.7's out of a 2wd ram, is everything the same if I just find a different 2wd trans, or is there something that complicates it because it came out of a 4wd.

thanks
Shane

You can change the tail shaft to a 2wd and have the computer reprogrammed. Best of all, the cost of the swap tail shaft is 250ish.

Check hotrodlane.cc they have it.

Thanks 5.7. Are there any other complications that you know of with going with a 2013 5.7 vs and older 2003-2010 5.7?
For example, when I go looking for a transmission, I can still look for a 545FRE from a 2wd ram 2003-2010?
I am not a mechanic and this is my first project, so sorry if these are dumb questions.

thanks
Shane

You can use the earlier trans but I think you would need to use an earlier computer....but don't quote me. Call Dave Weber at ModernMuscle, he's a vendor on here and really a cool guy to talk with....plus he knows his sh!t with the late model Hemi's.

Bottom line is going to be this...WHATEVER transmission you use it needs to operate in the same language (programming) as the engine controller. In the Chrysler world that needs to be can-buss. What you need is an engine controller from a manual transmission vehicle so you can use a different transmission. It gets very complicated very quickly....at least to me. I am still trying to work out my 07 5.7 and NAG 1 situation.
Ditto talking with Modern Muscle about all of this.

It doesn't matter what it comes out of. It isnt so much about that. As Darius will tell you, using the stock stuff out of a donor car is damn near impossible. A 5.7 and a 545 is a piece of cake. A gen3 3 and a nag1 is a whole different deal. It is still very expensive to make a nag1 work. Requires two dedicated controllers. Either an 05 ecm programmed for it or an aftermarket efi setup. Both require a stand alone controller.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

Auto Transport Service
Back