• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 Hemi Conversion for my 73 Charger...Should I jump on this deal?

Turning Home 74

Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone kind of new to this thread but here it goes...I am planning on buying a 5.7 Hemi with transmission, complete front end with all brakes, (lines, gas tank, all the accessories for the motor, driveshaft, complete rear end, all the wiring none cut from motor all the way to taillights, factory sunroof, complete radio with speakers and sub, gauges, front and rear black leather and seude seats center console, and all computers. All for $2000 think I did good? The motor runs I heard it, plus I drove it. It only has 43k miles on it and is a 2006. Just want some feedback, and some help on finding out how to do this conversion...Let me know what you guys think...

Thanks,
Nick

****, since you got everything, just drop your body over the "newer" stuff and poof, your set.lol!! So can ya narrow it down, what are you wanting to do?

well I was thinking about trying to use all I could for my 73 charger...the guy said I can take all I want from the drive train, and underneth plus the seats for $2000...but cant sell the body parts...didnt know what all I should get while I can..didnt know the length of time to put a new hemi in a car like mine...any suggestions? lol

grab everything wiring/computer/drivetrain wise you can. I'm assuming this is in a 06 lx? Basically you'd be trying the same stuff I am

its actually a 06 rt with the 5.7 in it...but okay do you think that is a reasonable price?
look at it this way the salvage yard I work for sold a 5.7 hemi out of an 06 charger r/t with about 100000 kms on it for 4K canadian

Yes - it's an awesome price... I would pull the steering column, every inch of wiring, the engine, transmission, brake system on the front and the rear suspension cradle.

Thanks for the info about the pricing I think I am going to go ahead with the deal then...and I believe he is throwing in the steering column as well...he said he is going to go ahead and pull the motor and transmission and rear end with the brakes and everything, the front suspension cradle with the brakes, drive shaft, and the wiring...then leave the car on stands and let me pick what else off it that I need, I am really happy to get the srt-8 seats those are almost new...but Rolling_Thunder how long did it take you to make the swap?

It's not a weekend swap, the rear cradle has to be modified to ether bolt in or weld in. I'm cutting 2" out of each side of my cradle for my 67 dart. the 74 might just be a simple swap in once you make some bracketry to make it bolt up or weld it in. It'll be a workout. but the results will be well worth it.

Considering I did the swap years ago before everything was scienced out and made my own wiring harness and had to deal with flywheel sizes, bolt patterns, bellhousings, etc - it took my only a weekend to get the engine and trans physically in the car. If I had a complete harness like you have you're looking at maybe a second weekend of wiring and misc stuff to get it fired up and running.

okay cool..I was just curious about if it would be a rewardable swap..I have a 400 4bbl currently in the car had some pretty good work done to it cam, heads, igition, intake, carb, plugs wires, exhaust, stall converter, posi rearend with some deep gears, etc...but havent really been able to fully drive it due to well needing some new ball joints and front end work...so from anyone that had experience with the swap see great results?

That 5.7 will have more hp and torque than a 400 and better gas mileage also. Get the complete dash too, ya never know if you'll get the itch to swap that out too, and the console/shifter.

the 5.7 will be a all around better engine - better power - better aftermarket support - better mileage... all around a pleasure to drive.

Okay I think I'm pretty sold on the idea it would be nice to actually have another motor if I decide to buy another charger project later...but just grab all the wiring from the whole car? Or just motor and such? And I think I can really do this I am making this a tribute to my grandpa and want something done to remember him by...is there maybe a list of other parts I should plan on buying in order to complete the swap? And does anyone know of anyobody doing a 73 that could maybe give me some pointers? Ill do a step by step build of the charger project too that might help me answer some questions as well

Put the 400 drivetrain up for sale after your all done the swap and I bet you can get your money back. Like we said get everything you can, wiring, steering column, dash, shifter, gas tank, fuel pump, drivetrain, brake assembly, gas pedal assembly(drive by wire) brake booster and master, every sensor line, front hubs, brakes, etc etc etc. Honestly grab every single part you can even if you don't think you'll need it.

a big selling point on this swap to me is the efi. The fact I in Canada can put a car starter on my car and in the cold weather will be able to push a button and start my swapped cars(67 dart is getting a 3.5 V6 out of a charger, 63 belvedere is getting a 5.7 out of a charger, and my 81 crew cab dodge is getting a 5.7 out of a truck)

take ALL the wiring... - you'd be surprised what the harnesses you won't need will sell for on Ebay... The Steering column with have the ign key which you will need for the security feature.

If you plan on running your stock K member you will need:
Motor mount plates
Oil pan and pickup tube

Well just talked to the man selling it he said just make a final list of everything I need he will start pulling it all out and labling it all too...and I get to pick the car apart as well but want to get all I can a real bang for my buck I hope

Looks like you and I are doing the same thing. An 06 into a 73. I'll keep in touch and maybe we can help each other. I've only been on this site 2 days and met some very smart and knowledgeable people.

Auto Transport Service
Back