• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 hemi in a 69 Sport Satellite

karl m

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
New to the forum here. I'm a Mopar guy for like 38 years. This isn't a fad for me, it's what I love. Been on another Mopar e-mail group for over a decade, but with my new venture I need some specific info that the folks over there don't have a lot of experience with.

Looking to upgrade my 69 Sport Satellite to a Gen III hemi. Ultimate goal is the all aluminum 426 crate engine with a Passon 5 speed. However, may settle for a 6.4L or even a 6.1L SRT8 engine. But right now I have a 5.7 available at what I think is a reasonable price. It's 2006 out of a Charger. About 80K miles. Going to go look at it in a couple of hours and may come home with it. That will allow me to get the wiring, mounting and fuel system dialed in.

Seems that the 5.7 will accept just about anything an LA will. Including an A833. Saw a comment about having to shorten the input shaft. But my big concern at this point is, will ALL the 5.7s accept a pilot bushing/bearing that is acceptable to the A833? Going to use a scatter shield. Probably a Quick Time. (Had one clutch come apart in my 70 Challenger. Fortunately, I was not really hammering on it.) And factory style mechanical clutch linkage.

The car is currently a column shift auto with a 440. I have a small block 727, but A833s are available.

A little about the car for, uh, well, just because... Factory A/C, power steering, power drum brakes, power windows, light group, wood grain wheel, FACTORY cruise control, and some other stuff. Quite possibly the highest optioned 68-69-70 PLYMOUTH B body ever made.

Plan on using the A/C and upgrading to later disc brakes and adding a GTX hood.

Not sure which direction I'm going to take for the controller. Going to run the EFI. Mopar Performance has a box, Hot Wire in Mena AR has had some recommendations and I have very briefly read a couple of folks on here like the Mega Squirt that someone supplies with a harness.

Also plan on using the stock fuel tank and using a surge tank to assure positive fuel supply.

Been thinking about this for years. So I THINK I have a lot of the issues worked out in my head. But of course, expecting reality to come crashing in on some of them.

Karl M.

first of all, welcome to the fourm. love to see pics of your car.
do it to please you,it's your car,time and $$. saying that, I'd rather look at a good old Big Block Mopar than a new Hemi.

Read Darius's thread "B body stiffening. Be sure to read to the very last post. Outstanding documentation that you will find valuable. Good luck and welcome.

Hi Karl M. and welcome to the forum. Sounds like some modernization going on with your Satellite. :) Let us know how it goes...

Not sure which direction I'm going to take for the controller. Going to run the EFI. Mopar Performance has a box, Hot Wire in Mena AR has had some recommendations and I have very briefly read a couple of folks on here like the Mega Squirt that someone supplies with a harness.

Karl M.

Let me save you a lot of time and trouble. The best solution for the new hemi is the HOLLEY setup. Hands down. I don't sell them, but I have tuned EVERY SINGLE stand alone controller for the gen3 hemi. WIth your setup you can run a dominator, hook up every stock sensor, use drive by wire, and it will tune itself as you drive. Hands down the best, without another one even being a close second

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Some pics of the car in it's current state (uh, kind of) can be seen at (http://www.megahosted.com/gallery/1969_Sport_Satellite).

Ok, the 5.7 is home. Gee, so much shi, er, stuff. Now where am I gonna put it? It's actually out of a 2006 300C (interesting is that I have one of those that is my daily driver) (http://www.megahosted.com/gallery/album814).

Complete engine with all the accessories, power steering pump, A/C compressor and alternator.

First off, I really need the questions about the A833 answered. Has anyone on here put a Mopar 4 speed behind one of the Gen III 5.7 car engines? I don't mind breaking new ground, but BTDT and it's soooo much easier to use the experience of those that have gone before.

I've done a little searching and have read about guys putting an A833 behind the 6.1L and 6.4L, but my world has pretty much been big blocks. And not all big blocks have cranks that are drilled for the pilot bushing (just had to have a crank drilled for a 440 that I've been working on for the Satellite). There are A LOT of big blocks from the mid/late 70s that originally had automatics behind them and have nothing but a small dimple in the center of the back of the crank. No way of getting a manual trans snout in there. So you have to have them drilled.

Then on to other things.

Karl M.

Yes, the 4spd. will fit and function behind the 5.7 without issue. You have to cut about 3/4 off the input shaft and your in business. Check over on FABO, as it has been done numerous times.

My engine came out of an automatic truck and all I did was pop the pilot bushing in place...2 min process.

The pilot bushing is the same as all of the older LA's in the dakota trucks. But you can just ask them at the parts counter for one for a 2005 Ram 2500 with the manual transmission.

I haven't done the A833 swap but read and saw it done a few times. It works with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back