• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 in a 72 Charger

Dreamcatcher

Will fish for food
Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
I asked this but attached to an older post and never got any comments. So I will try in a new post. Has anyone here put the 5.7 in a 72 Charger. I assume the install would be about the same. I see different motor mounts available for the 72's. K-members about the same as well. But wondering if there are more or less things to take into account. I was going to put my 5.7 in a 68 but I have a 72 charger that is way easier to do as the body is very nice with no rust issues. I might sell my 68 and do the 72 but want to know if there is anything better or worse about this build over the 68. I am hopping there is someone out there that has done a 72. Looking through the build threads I don't find any on a Gen III in a 71-72.
Thanks in advance.

It should be almost identical to a 68. Mounts should be the same. 72 is pre spool mount correct?
Yes pre-spool but they list a different mount for a 5.7 in a 71-72. I think everything else is the same. But the engine compartment appears larger in my 72 but haven't measured it yet. Like I said before, just kicking it around. I like the 68 better but the 72 is so much modern in comparison. I just don't want to change directions to find it a harder build. My purpose is to get one of the chargers on the road sooner.

It should be as easy or easier. I would say from the cowl to the radiator core support is 47 feet, so you would have plenty of room. I like the idea. To me, the early 70 b bodies just seem like the best 3g swap candidates. Just the looks of them, the body lines. I would do the same exact thing you are wanting to do if a 3rd gen charger came my way. For whatever thats worth to you

I think the project should be as easy or easier, because if I recall correctly the 71 up b's have a lot in common with e bodys, and that is a road well traveled. I would go for it, as long as you dont kick yourself for selling the 68. I put a 5.7 in an a body, and although it was tough, it was done on a budget, believe me!

Thanks for the input. I just think it might be my best bet and the 72's are so roomy and comfortable too. Still kicking it around.

Look up the viper powered 72 project on here . that's the way to go.

Auto Transport Service
Back