• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5.7 to a 97 Ram trans

wedge5

Local time
5:27 PM
Reaction score
I have been wanting to put a 5.7 into my 97 Ram but not sure on all the mods that need to be done.

Will a 97 Ram(auto) trans bolt up to 5.7? anybody have any ideas?

was your trans orignally behind a 5.9 ? if so it will bolt up to the 5.7 minus one bolt hole. mopar performance makes the flexplate to use the smallblock converter

No not behind a 360(5.9) but behind a 318(5.2). Is there a difference?

No difference. Now getting the trans to work, whole other ball game. But it can be done, so do some research, and let us know what ya find.

are you going with a factury 5.7 computer or s&p if a factory you'll have to have it flashed to turn off it's programing for it's original transmission if it was automatic.then your od 518 should have no problem

That is the thing. The motor doesn't have the comp. with it just the wiring harness so I will have to get one. I did see that someone on this board or another mopar board had a stock 5.7 comp for $300. This new car stuff confuses me.

ok so if you buy the stock factory computer you will have to have it flashed to turn off the programing of the 5.7's original automatic. if the computer is from a 5.7 with a manual you won't have to do this

Ok, let me get this straight.

My truck trans is an auto. I need to buy a 5.7 stock PCM/ECU or whatever they call it and it will work flawlessly will the 5.7 Hemi hooked up to my 518od trans.

Right?
You have been very helpful. This project may not get done for a while but this knowledge will help when I do it.

Ok, let me get this straight.

My truck trans is an auto. I need to buy a 5.7 stock PCM/ECU or whatever they call it and it will work flawlessly will the 5.7 Hemi hooked up to my 518od trans.

Right?
You have been very helpful. This project may not get done for a while but this knowledge will help when I do it.

buy a computer for an 05 5.7 that would have been for a manual transmission application. that way the computer won't look for the transmission

buy a computer for an 05 5.7 that would have been for a manual transmission application. that way the computer won't look for the transmission

but if he does that, his 518 (or also known as 47RE) still will need the input from the computer to determine when it will need to shift into OD and to lockup the converter. his 97 is a 47RE not an RH.

If I were you, I would find a 47RH to mate up to the 5.7L and get a PCM that is programmed for a manual transmission. This way, your trans will shift into OD and lockup your converter based upon hydraulic pressures and not the requirement of a computer controlled shift.

You will still need to hook up the computer to your transmission in case you want to have the option to turning on/off your OD.

Me? I would just hook up the RH trans, rewire the OD/Lockup functions by going here: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

and call it good. :D

There were 2 versions of the 518, one electric for the later years and non electric for the early years. Both can be used, but the non electric will be much easier to get going.

There were 2 versions of the 518, one electric for the later years and non electric for the early years. Both can be used, but the non electric will be much easier to get going.

ummmm??? that is what i said??? :icon_scratch:

Yeah, i re read it, total goof on my part!!!

but if he does that, his 518 (or also known as 47RE) still will need the input from the computer to determine when it will need to shift into OD and to lockup the converter. his 97 is a 47RE not an RH.

and call it good. :D

Behind the V-8 it is a 46RE/RH depending on the year, the 47 was for the V-10/Cummins trucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back