• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Must Have Mods for Your Vintage Ride?

Dibbons

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
I disagree with latest "Hagerty News" media article. I am sticking with carburation on all three of my Mopars, and point-triggered distributors on two of 'em.

Hagerty List:

Electronic Ignition, Brake Upgrade, Electronic Fuel Injection, Charging System Upgrade, Insulation

I’ve done 4 of the 5.. still carbureted! I’m not opposed to EFI though just something I’m not gonna do..yet anyway
:lol:

I’ve done 4 of the 5.. still carbureted! I’m not opposed to EFI though just something I’m not gonna do..yet anyway
:lol:

Same here, I won't be doing fuel injection on the Charger but it will have the other 4 things. I wouldn't consider those items must haves as much as I would convenience items...

It depends what your “vintage” car came with from the factory. Stock disc brakes work great. Nothing wrong with points, never left me walking like electronic ignition has several times. My 1958 with a generator works just fine, original parts are rebuilt. And the Chrysler alternator that will discharge at red lights at night isn’t a problem either. Car always starts, battery is never dead.

These car’s were built like this and made it through the warranty period without a “pandemic” of problems! LOL.

To me it completes the “experience” of a vintage car.

Gee whiz..... Accel Super Coil, Holley Double Pumper, Blackjack Headers, Cherry Bombs, and Air Shocks didn't even make the list.

Bogus!

Completely agree with those mods and apply them to all of my cars. They should have added a roller cam.

Like we need any help finding ways to spend more money. :rolleyes:

I also like to upgrade to modern suspension. It all unbolts for someone wanting to go back to stock, and the geometry corrections are well worth it. My 442 was a pig wallowing through corners and nosediving badly on braking. Totally different car with the UMI/PDM parts. Still haven't driven the Charger, but hoping for good things from QA1.

You can disguise the electronic ignition components etc. Kinda tough to keep an original looking engine with the fuel injection modification.

Completely agree with those mods and apply them to all of my cars. They should have added a roller cam.

Agree on the roller cam especially nowadays with all the bad lifters being sold.

a butchered dash and a pioneer super tuner.......with a matched butchered package tray and Jensen tri-axles

I do like electronic ignition vs points/condenser.

Then front disc brakes.

Anything else I live fine without.

20-40 years ago I would have agreed to electronic ignition. however modern electronics leave a lot to be desired. Either carry a spare box with you (I've tried different ones with the same bad results lately) or stick to points.
I am also thinking that a roller cam is more important than any of the things Hagerty listed currently.

To each their own on mods and making the investments. I did front disks, sway bar (was optional on my 63), HD leafs, FFII among some other things that could be unbolted. Installed an EI 20 years ago and other upgrades for cooling (again a few were options my car didn't have). Added tad larger wheels and radials (needed larger wheels for my disks). Car drives, handles, and brakes…no doubt miles (pun here) better than it ever did from the factory. And I remember how it drove before these upgrades...like chit. These IMO are no-brainer mods. Cutting up or welding on a ride for mods isn’t something I’d do unless building a racer. Never gave thought to FI…

All I did was Electronic Ignition and the Bee came with ft disc so I must be old school or just poor :lol:

All I did was Electronic Ignition and the Bee came with ft disc so I must be old school or just poor :lol:
My 3 current Plymouths all have front disc brakes. And electronic ignition. All from different sources.

74 Drag race Duster. MSD 6AL ignition. Front disc brakes standard.

70 Pro Steet project Cuda. Big Stuff engine management with LS1 individual coil electronic ignition. Front disc brakes from old school Mustang II Rack & Pinion steering conversion.

69 GTX. Dealership option upgrade to preform style electronic ignition. And Chrysler dealership front disc brake upgrade.

For the record. I have had very good success with that little orange electronic ignition box. Sure it has next to nothing expansion for additional modules like Rev limitater. But they seem to last at least as long as any MSD box I've used.

My 3 current Plymouths all have front disc brakes. And electronic ignition. All from different sources.

74 Drag race Duster. MSD 6AL ignition. Front disc brakes standard.

70 Pro Steet project Cuda. Big Stuff engine management with LS1 individual coil electronic ignition. Front disc brakes from old school Mustang II Rack & Pinion steering conversion.

69 GTX. Dealership option upgrade to preform style electronic ignition. And Chrysler dealership front disc brake upgrade.
can you post some pics of your rides please,they sound nice.

can you post some pics of your rides please,they sound nice.

Corys Mopars.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back