• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$50,000 1968 Plymouth Fury III

VFilms

Local time
12:52 PM
Reaction score
I stumbled upon a show last evening called Big Easy Motors, 4 guys in NOLA who flip cars. This particular episode was about 'restomodding' a 1968 Plymouth Fury III they called Franken Fury. This post is not about the show, which was unwatchable at times, but rather the build.
(Taken from the Motortrend website) Charles Handler and his crazy crew of cajuns started with a rusty estate sale buy of $1,000. The chassis was completely re-thought with the help of Magnum Force Suspension, who installed a trick prototype suspension under the C-Body, which upgraded the original torsion-bar suspension to tubular control arms with coil over shocks, along with a rack-and-pinion steering system to tie it all together. The void under the hood was filled with a 6.1L Gen III Hemi, and a beefy Tremec T-56 from Silver Sport Transmission backed the modern Mopar motivator.
While I found this install interesting, I couldn't help but cringe at the rest of the build. IMO, it seemed as though the rest of the car was thrown together, from body work to paint (matte black hides a lot) to a complete lack of attention to all other aesthetics. What really floored me was they sold this car for $50,000. I immediately thought, if this car garnered 50 grand, what are most of the cars on this forum worth?
I read a lot here on FBBO and follow some of the build threads. You are all to be celebrated for you attention to quality and detail, as well as your technological knowledge. It is unrivaled.

fury1.jpg

Last edited:
I seen that show a long time ago, the first thing to remember is almost nothing on reality shows is reality.
If they got 50k for that car, I'd bet that buyer has remorse.

I stumbled upon a show last evening called Big Easy Motors, 4 guys in NOLA who flip cars. This particular episode was about 'restomodding' a 1968 Plymouth Fury III they called Franken Fury. This post is not about the show, which was unwatchable at times, but rather the build.
(Taken from the Motortrend website) Charles Handler and his crazy crew of cajuns started with a rusty estate sale buy of $1,000. The chassis was completely re-thought with the help of Magnum Force Suspension, who installed a trick prototype suspension under the C-Body, which upgraded the original torsion-bar suspension to tubular control arms with coil over shocks, along with a rack-and-pinion steering system to tie it all together. The void under the hood was filled with a 6.1L Gen III Hemi, and a beefy Tremec T-56 from Silver Sport Transmission backed the modern Mopar motivator.
While I found this install interesting, I couldn't help but cringe at the rest of the build. IMO, it seemed as though the rest of the car was thrown together, from body work to paint (matte black hides a lot) to a complete lack of attention to all other aesthetics. What really floored my was they sold this car for $50,000. I immediately thought, if this car garnered 50 grand, what are most of the cars on this forum worth?
I read a lot here on FBBO and follow some of the build threads. You are all to be celebrated for you attention to quality and detail, as well as your technological knowledge. It is unrivaled.

View attachment 1195159
My wife and I were actually "extras" on an episode of Big Easy Motors. They had contacted us through a friend of mine who has a beautiful 70 Roadrunner, and we discussed the possibility of being in the show.
They used her GTO as one of about 4 cars parked outside their shop in the street as they celebrated the reveal of a Big Daddy Roth trike, powered by a small block Ford. It was the "Mystery Trike" episode, episode 14, which I believe was the last episode of the one season they had.
They had a street party with boiled crawfish, beer, drinks, and a live band.
The cars in the street were supposed to be cars their shop had been involved with. They took a lot of "artistic license" with that claim.
There was an episode that had a friend's 70 Coronet R/T 440 4bbl convertible in it, that they allegedly sold. I can assure you that didn't happen.
I have to say the guys at The Bomb Factory (the actual shop) were and are very nice and have skills and talent, take the "color pallete Cuda" for example, they did that car, and a really nice retro paint job on a Chrysler 300. I see the guys and the cars, including the Fury III at local car shows and Cruisin the Coast.
cuda-sample-side-1588953817.jpg

Edit: Here's the Chrysler 300. It's pretty cool, especially "in person".
Somewhere there's a Bass Boat missing its paint job, but it actually "works" for this car.
BRAND_THC_BIGE_177215_TVE_000_2398_030_20160714_00_HD.jpg

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to be involved with a episode of "Counting Cars"
It was about a Charger. The car was real and that was about it. The "Buyer" was a guy I know.
It was fake and so was the selling price.But it makes for TV fun.

I had the opportunity to be involved with a episode of "Counting Cars"
It was about a Charger. The car was real and that was about it. The "Buyer" was a guy I know.
It was fake and so was the selling price.But it makes for TV fun.
TV fun is good enough sometime, still must have been cool

My wife and I were actually "extras" on an episode of Big Easy Motors. They had contacted us through a friend of mine who has a beautiful 70 Roadrunner, and we discussed the possibility of being in the show.
They used her GTO as one of about 4 cars parked outside their shop in the street as they celebrated the reveal of a Big Daddy Roth trike, powered by a small block Ford. It was the "Mystery Trike" episode, episode 14, which I believe was the last episode of the one season they had.
They had a street party with boiled crawfish, beer, drinks, and a live band.
The cars in the street were supposed to be cars their shop had been involved with. They took a lot of "artistic license" with that claim.
There was an episode that had a friend's 70 Coronet R/T 440 4bbl convertible in it, that they allegedly sold. I can assure you that didn't happen.
I have to say the guys at The Bomb Factory (the actual shop) were and are very nice and have skills and talent, take the "color pallete Cuda" for example, they did that car, and a really nice retro paint job on a Chrysler 300. I see the guys and the cars, including the Fury III at local car shows and Cruisin the Coast.
View attachment 1195183
Edit: Here's the Chrysler 300. It's pretty cool, especially "in person".
Somewhere there's a Bass Boat missing its paint job, but it actually "works" for this car.
View attachment 1195186
Thanks for sharing
That's cool you were part of it
your wife's car (Beautiful 65 GTO) was 'a bait & switch'
outside on filming/taping the show

that's nice to know the people were cool & somewhat "talented"

but;
that show was unwatchable

that color pallet cuda' "tribute" looks decent on a photo

almost nothing on reality shows is reality.
Never a more true statement made on this site. :thumbsup:

Those car makeover shows where they transform a car in 7 days or less.....BS....it takes more like 3 months.

Home makeovers....timelines are just for the TV audience. Those animated drawings they show the client just after walking in the door after 'purchase' - they take days to prepare, if not longer.

Oh, which one of the 3 houses will you buy ???? BS....the house has already been purchased, paid for, and plans for the renovations drawn up well, before those shots we see on TV are ever shot.
All that BS chit-chat about liking the curtains, and the view etc......all scripted. Phoney as it gets. :jackoff:

One of the guys I work here with was on a Garden Makeover and house renovation show as an apprentice. It took weeks to do what apparently happened over the course of one weekend. Look at the clouds in the sky and clothes people wear. Even that is faked. The Presenter of this garden show carried around his shirt and jeans at all times, just in case the filming was needed urgently when the progress suited.

Another famous one here is a fishing show where the presenter leaps out of a helicopter onto a supposedly aggressive marlin in the ocean. Truth was, the marlin had been on the drag for around 8 hours, and was nearly dead. The time between catching the marlin and the helicopter jump was about 9 months. Once again the presenter had to carry around the same outfit so that he could go at a moments notice to film the sequence.

I can do a makeover on my daily driver in about 10 minutes.
Remove all the junk, tools and parts from the front and rear seats.
VIOLA from rolling dumpster to car just like that!
Easy as it gets.

I can do a makeover on my daily driver in about 10 minutes.
Remove all the junk, tools and parts from the front and rear seats.
VIOLA from rolling dumpster to car just like that!
Easy as it gets.
But would you get 50 grand for it?

Screenshot_20211118-192726.png
I could likely get what I paid for it 5 years ago and 60,000 miles...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back