• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

512 engine build - 18 months and counting, advice how to tackle this please

Yeah, a lot of these builders buy parts from their buddy's supply business or other vendor that they have a relationship with, even if it means you wait forever....BS in my book. Sometimes the best approach is to show up with the parts you want installed (hindsight I know)...

Just a quick update.

The engine builder will not return my emails. I asked for a progress update and an estimated ETA. I raised a claim with my credit card company. I am glad that most communication happened through email because that will be used for the claim.

Sorry, friend...I have not kept up on all the specifics of this problem you're having.
I recall that you're an avid enthusiast that isn't looking to set world records, you're just a guy that wants to have some fun.
It used to be that YEARS ago when these classics were just used cars, machine shops were in abundance. The cars today have engines that run so long, people just trade them in instead of replacing worn out engines.
For example, my 2007 Dodge truck has almost 400,000 miles on it and it is still running pretty good. By this point, many cars from the 60s would be on their 3rd engine. Leaded gas and oil technology didn't make for a real long lasting engine so there were a LOT of machine shops in business rebuilding engines. Even here in California, a place that some still call the "birthplace of the Hot Rod", it can be hard to find a machine shop. I'm sure that is why CRATE engines became popular.
Good luck.

Sorry, friend...I have not kept up on all the specifics of this problem you're having.
I recall that you're an avid enthusiast that isn't looking to set world records, you're just a guy that wants to have some fun.
It used to be that YEARS ago when these classics were just used cars, machine shops were in abundance. The cars today have engines that run so long, people just trade them in instead of replacing worn out engines.
For example, my 2007 Dodge truck has almost 400,000 miles on it and it is still running pretty good. By this point, many cars from the 60s would be on their 3rd engine. Leaded gas and oil technology didn't make for a real long lasting engine so there were a LOT of machine shops in business rebuilding engines. Even here in California, a place that some still call the "birthplace of the Hot Rod", it can be hard to find a machine shop. I'm sure that is why CRATE engines became popular.
Good luck.
Couldn't agree me! I am a fixer not a replacer. I adore the learning curve that comes with fixing stuff.

As for the crate motor, I ordered that motor not long after getting the Charger and I was still in that phase of wanting to mod the car to my likes. 2 years later I am still running that fully restored 383 that runs like clockwork with plenty of power. I would still grab the 512 if it were ready, maybe sell it locally. 2 years is a long time to wait and I keep being fed BS by the builder.

Sorry to hear of all your bad luck. You may need to get a lawyer involved as well as your credit card company. Good luck. Kim
He's in Australia, a lawyer is just gonna eat more $$$ Hopefully the credit card company has taken the $$$ from he "builder" and returned it to our friend down under.... When this ordeal is over it's time to out the "builder"... These crooks are doing to much of this crap lately....

@OzCharger69 Is this engine builder/scam artist in the US? Or Australia? Has you credit cars company taken care of you? I certainly hope so...

Sounds like NY. Curious if it’s the guy who’s known for doing Hemi’s..?

The credit card company said that the time for refund had elapsed.

After dozens of emails and phone calls the engine was finished 2 weeks ago and he sent me the dyno video. Engine finished with a 2 year delay. I will believe it when the engine is shipped though.

Did the warranty start the day they took your money?
This sucks ***.

The credit card company said that the time for refund had elapsed.

After dozens of emails and phone calls the engine was finished 2 weeks ago and he sent me the dyno video. Engine finished with a 2 year delay. I will believe it when the engine is shipped though.
Not very helpful...
Only one time in all my years of using a credit card did I attempt to have the credit card company step in on my behalf... It had been about seven months of attempting to sort it out with the vendor on my own & I had concerns about the time... Went to my CU that had issued the card & spoke with their credit card dept head... She said as long as there had been on going attempts as resolution by me, whether the seller was responding or not time wasn't an issue... She said they had dealt with instances up to four years out....

After hearing that I told her I wanted to try one more round of emails before turning it over.... I did that & still got zero response... Turned it over to them & had money back in my account within a few weeks with the stipulation it could be reversed depending on what evidence was presented by the seller... there was some more emails and within three months the case was finalized & I got to keep my $$$

I order/buy dozens to hundreds of engine and racing parts every day. The whole industry has changed since Covid. There is alot of stuff on back order all the time. Almost no one actually stocks anything anymore, or not very much. If they do have stock, there are times it takes 4-7 days just to ship a stock item anymore. Unless expedited. It seems no one is in a hurry or cares anymore.

Auto Transport Service
Back