• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

52 GMC COE with 440 power

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Just one of our shop projects, It will take some time as it just gets a few hrs here & there.

52 COE gmc on a 72 Winnie brave running gear.
we have a 20ft steel car hauler dove tail deck with frame and axel to graft onto the Winnie.
The 440 and 727 are 44,000 mile units and run great also will remain stone stock.
I will post up more pics as this goes along. Just thought mabey you guys would like a 440 in a GMC :lol:
IMG_1206 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1205 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1203 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1202 (640x480).jpg

Made a little more progress on the 440 powered COE , did a 74 inch frame stretch got the drive shafts in, deck pulled of the old frame.
have to blast and epoxy the deck next. Slow but its coming along as we have time.
[/ATTACH]
shop cab over 011 (640x480).jpg
shop cab over 015 (640x480).jpg
shop cab over 018 (640x480).jpg
shop cab over 014 (640x480).jpg

20200327_155429.jpg
20200327_155345.jpg

We have made some progress , bed is on and got some paint on her, the old 440 is sounding good.
long way yet to go.

Getting near the end of this build . Still have to cover the deck with aluminum tread plate sheets and steps.
Sorry about the brand x on the deck lol. I was going to run my 67 on it but my brother wanted to see his black car on it.
Remember guys the heart of this old girl is a 440 and 727
20200917_161236.jpg

Very cool...even with the Bubble Top on the back. :thumbsup:
An old friend of mine has one of those....he lives very close to where @Chargerjase normally resides in NZ. :D

Small update, getting the aluminum diamond plate on. Also bought a pair of 7 ft. Alum ramps.
The 61 will load over the dove tail break . Very close though to the exhaust up front.
We placed a pair of 2x4 pieces under the ground end of the ramps.
That gained a little more room, prob will add a aluminum block under each ramp end.
20201214_150049.jpg

Cool. Very cool. I would want a bed that could handle a 22' long car. Some of the big sleds are long and heavy. If using a late 1930's truck like the two I posted up, I would want to add about 5" to the center of the cab, stretching it. Need the leg room and it also gives space for insulation and sound deadening. A cargo box directly behind the cab as well. Unless there could be boxes incorporated under the roll back deck somewhere..
Have also thought about a custom hauler deck that sits about 12" off the pavement with a goose neck attachment to the truck. Lower the center of gravity and streamline the whole rig under motion. Maybe even a boxed in enclosed trailer w goose neck that has a 1930's period roof line and ornamentation. Same height as the truck roof.

Cool. Very cool. I would want a bed that could handle a 22' long car. Some of the big sleds are long and heavy. If using a late 1930's truck like the two I posted up, I would want to add about 5" to the center of the cab, stretching it. Need the leg room and it also gives space for insulation and sound deadening. A cargo box directly behind the cab as well. Unless there could be boxes incorporated under the roll back deck somewhere..
Have also thought about a custom hauler deck that sits about 12" off the pavement with a goose neck attachment to the truck. Lower the center of gravity and streamline the whole rig under motion. Maybe even a boxed in enclosed trailer w goose neck that has a 1930's period roof line and ornamentation. Same height as the truck roof.
You got some great ideas, I have always liked your 67 project and the mods.
We did look at the stretch idea but in the end went for git her done lol.
It will be finished by spring ,with only the two of us and a full plate of late model work time gets scarce some weeks.
We had the coe and the winne with the 440 , add a little beer and away we go.

Last edited:
Very Cool COE.. I like the 62 as well.... Using a unloved Motorhome chassis is brilliant...

Auto Transport Service
Back