• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

528 stroker build

Unless you have a bunch of experience with engines like this I'd suggest starting with something in the 600 hp range, especially with a heavy car, four speed and 3.54 gears. The engine I built for my Coronet should work for you. It has a 4.25 stroke, 9.8 compression, TF 240 heads, deep port match Trick Flow intake, hyd roller cam with 239@050 duration and a Hemi oil system. I'll put a Holley Sniper on it since I can't think of a good reason to use a carb on an engine like this. This engine made 630 ft-lbs of torque and 620 hp on the dyno. It is designed to work with a manual transmission on a street car so you can idle across a parking lot or over speed bumps without having it buck. An engine like this is usually $10,000 to $12,000 starting with nothing.
DSC_3451 (Large).JPG

That's US dollars. Add 35% exchange rate just to start. Bring it in whole or in large pieces and add another 13% tax.

The supply of big block, stock or aftermarket, seems to really have dried up. Looked at E-Bay and the bare stock 440 blocks are crazy expensive.
Craigs list in this area I think listed maybe 2 440's from RVs at around $1,000.
I thought 440 Source was looking at casting aftermarket blocks about 20 years ago, but back then there was competition with the Mopar Mega blocks (were those the cummins or world castings?), world blocks, and Kleno blocks. Plus the aluminum versions if you had the money.
Right now I have a '66 440 Block that i need to sonic check. Got it in a trade for some labor wiring a car, but the cylinders did not cleanup at 0.030" over.
I measured the wear in the bore, and it looks like it will clean up fine if I go 0.055" or 0.060" over, just don't know how thick the cylinder walls are yet.

Unless you have a bunch of experience with engines like this I'd suggest starting with something in the 600 hp range, especially with a heavy car, four speed and 3.54 gears. The engine I built for my Coronet should work for you. It has a 4.25 stroke, 9.8 compression, TF 240 heads, deep port match Trick Flow intake, hyd roller cam with 239@050 duration and a Hemi oil system. I'll put a Holley Sniper on it since I can't think of a good reason to use a carb on an engine like this. This engine made 630 ft-lbs of torque and 620 hp on the dyno. It is designed to work with a manual transmission on a street car so you can idle across a parking lot or over speed bumps without having it buck. An engine like this is usually $10,000 to $12,000 starting with nothing.
View attachment 957217

What Headers are those? I really like the look and looks like it will get me some more room!

As for the 440Source bottom end I can tell you I used their 4.15 stroker kit in my 440 for a 493. Its been in my street car since June 2011 and its still running fine. I usually race my car once or twice a year but mostly I drive it on the street. I used their D-dished pistons to get 10.6 comp with the Indy EZ heads. But it has held up fine and oil pressure is still as good as always. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back