• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

53 Years ago

Mike Gaines

Local time
3:08 PM
Reaction score
Here is pix of my Mopar 53 years ago
20110624_18.jpg
when I was 24 years old...in the heyday of Funny Car Match Racing....Hilborns on NitroMethane, powdered rosin laid down, flame suits and parachutes....best 2 out of 3, etc, etc.

Ah, the good ol'days! Old school Funny Cars are where it all started! 440'

WOW, look at the size of that PA speaker. Amen, Ah the good old days.

Here is pix of my Mopar 53 years ago View attachment 1025027 when I was 24 years old...in the heyday of Funny Car Match Racing....Hilborns on NitroMethane, powdered rosin laid down, flame suits and parachutes....best 2 out of 3, etc, etc.
I'm with you Mike, those were the glory days, on the track and on the street. Could that car even run at a strip today without substantial modifications? We were all young and dumb. Nothing could kill us, or so we thought back then. We all brought what we had and the fastest one won. I gave it up when the fastest guy was not necessarily the winner and the cost of keeping within the rules limited how fast I could be. Your a inspiration to us all, keep the pictures and memories going. Thanks Jerry

A local gentleman about your age match raced back then also here in the south.
Both himself and his brother. They had injected and blown Hemi's. One car was called the
"Prosecutor" and the other was called the 'Defender"
He was delivering parts for a Chevy dealer. I loved to see his pictures and hear his stories.

Thank you for your picture. Racers like you were innovators.

Auto Transport Service
Back