• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.4 Hemi into 1974 challenger

Buy a flex plate! Cutting and opening up the holes throws the balance off.
Really? It had absolutely no effect on my application. Have you actually done this and experienced what you are claiming or are you going on speculation? The amount removed is miniscule, probably no more discernible than the minute difference in the weights of the bolts used to secure the torque converter.

I’ve done a few, sticks and auto’s (545rfe, 727, NAG1, 727 w/GV). The flex plate needs to be balanced, end of story. Good, you were able to get away with cutting and grinding. When your pump goes out, you now know why.

I’ve done a few, sticks and auto’s (545rfe, 727, NAG1, 727 w/GV). The flex plate needs to be balanced, end of story. Good, you were able to get away with cutting and grinding. When your pump goes out, you now know why.
Haha!!! I've been running this setup for 14 years and the "pump" has NOT gone out! I know a few others who have done the same thing with no problems either. Again, how many have you ACTUALLY done this to and experienced the problems you are claiming? Can you direct us to ANYONE who has actually had a problem doing this? I am seriuos, point me to someone who can actually say they have experienced a problem with this!

Back when we first started doing this swap there weren't any aftermarket flexplates and we worked with what we had, and they worked just fine. It's called 'hotrodding', and it's roots go way back to the moonshine running days! If you're able to just throw money at a project then good for you! Some of us aren't as fortunate.

I've been modifying stuff since the late 60's so yeah, it's not my first rodeo but you come and make a post insinuating that I don't know what I'm doing, and you know more about it than I do so again, post up the proof! I've been driving my proof for 14 years.

Your hotrodding was necessary in the early days... If you say so. The flex plates have been around a long time but maybe you were really early into it, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your prescription is very likely more expensive today however than just buying the right part unless you own a machine shop or someone owes you a favor. Time and toil and getting anything done at a shop vs buying a new sfi cert part.

I’ve never done what you’ve done, never will!

Your hotrodding was necessary in the early days... If you say so. The flex plates have been around a long time but maybe you were really early into it, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Your prescription is very likely more expensive today however than just buying the right part unless you own a machine shop or someone owes you a favor. Time and toil and getting anything done at a shop vs buying a new sfi cert part.
You miss the point. 5.7 hemi made a claim that what I did would not work and would cause damage, and finally admitted that he had no experience to base that on.

You may be right in that there are better solutions out there now, I haven't researched that. I dropped off the flexplate and picked it up a couple of hours later and left $20 with the machinist, who didn't owe me any favors, I didn't even know him. You can throw the SFI certified term around all day, but if you're not racing it's kind of irrelevant, the factory stuff is pretty durable. And BTW, my car has been down the track a few times, with slicks.

I guess you know more about these swaps than anyone. What you did is Hotrodding by definition, great! That is something I wouldn’t do and is pretty ****’n stupid to tell other people to do!

Let me guess, you cut down the original driveshaft and it was such a superb job, it didn’t need to be balanced! I really don’t give a **** what you did, do or are planning on, but YOU gave terrible advice. Worst thing I’ve ever heard of….to date!

I guess you know more about these swaps than anyone. What you did is Hotrodding by definition, great! That is something I wouldn’t do and is pretty ****’n stupid to tell other people to do!

Let me guess, you cut down the original driveshaft and it was such a superb job, it didn’t need to be balanced! I really don’t give a **** what you did, do or are planning on, but YOU gave terrible advice. Worst thing I’ve ever heard of….to date!
Which is your opinion based on no experience whatsoever!

Ok.

You win.

I’m out.

Auto Transport Service
Back