• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.4L Cam Part #'s

67Charger

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
After buying the wrong one once, I thought I'd put some effort into getting the right one the second time.

I would expect there to be 4 basic versions: (updated)
  • 6.1L, w/o VVT, nonMDS = [05037379AD]
  • w/o VVT, MDS =
  • VVT, nonMDS = [05037379BC] ??
  • VVT, MDS = [05038419AB]
  • BGE ??? =
Are the truck and car 392 cams different outside of the above 4 configurations (also a 5th BGE)?

I bought the 05037379BC, but it turns out it is for nonVVT. I want VVT, nonMDS, and the higher performing version if there is as car/truck difference. I see 05038419AB is a 6.4, VVT nonMDS, but looks to be for trucks.

Last edited:
These are new "Big Gas Engine" (BGE) bare blocks. These are the engine blocks used in Hellcats, RedEyes, Demons and Trackhawks.
The gospel according to Google

the truck engines are often called BGE. The truck cam and the car cam are different.

Turns out, they sent me a 05037379 AD, not BC. Looked up AD and it is the 6.1 Non-VVT version.

Last edited:
So I have been researching this a little and came across PN 5038419AB, says it is for a 21 6.4 but does not specify VVT or MDS. Its cheap enough ($197) but I don't know if it will work for what I am doing; I have a brand new 5.7 crate engine (non MDS).

I am reading that you must do a valve spring change with the cam swap but the push rods and lifters can remain.

My engine is still sitting on the pallet, so I think that if I am going to change the cam this is the time, I am not looking for huge power but seems like a no brainer not to take advantage of some relatively free power.

I've been advised by a guy that has done many hopped up gen iii to not bother with the truck cam, go with the 392 cam. The truck 6.4 cam would give some power but if you're going to tear into it make it count.
Lots of different advice on moparts about new springs or shim, people doing both.

I need to figure out exactly what cam I need, I am thinking it is 5038419AB but I am not exactly sure. I also need to determine if I need to change the valve springs.

I posted on FABO as there is a lot of G3 Hemi guys there and got answers to my questions.

The cam I need in 5037379BC
The springs I need is P5160074

Just thought it worth closing the loop on this, finally got off my butt and ordered the cam and springs today; $463.07

Auto Transport Service
Back