• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62-65 vs. 6.4 Hemi Swap, Firewall Clearance, TTI

59CumminsRam

Local time
12:10 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped in a 6.4 hemi with the factory intake and SRV (short runner valve) attached? I'm looking to swap one into my 65 Coronet and would like to know if the firewall is going to need to be modified to clear the SRV. I'd rather not remove the SRV due to the horsepower bump it gives you. I know there have been some clearance issues with 66 and newer cars but haven't found anything on our forgotten earlier cars. I called TTI about their spool mounts but they actually don't know if the SRV will be an issue. I've also toyed with using the OC Performance intake but that just adds even more cost to the build. Any help would be appreciated.

Never done a late swap. But the factory K frame mounts on a 62-65 are 1.5" further ahead than 66-70. I have moved the fire wall back on 62-65. A 2×4 laid across the fire wall. Then a bottle jack with a 4x4 placed between the 2x4 and the K frame. Its amazing how far you can move it. If you go to far it will put a small link in it. Look at this pic. Notice the body line is curved on the firewall behind the right valve cover/intake area. It's back 1.5" easy. Cant remember exactly how far I moved it. But my motor is back and I wanted a cross ram to fit.
Doug
FB_IMG_1582900668339.jpg

Never done a late swap. But the factory K frame mounts on a 62-65 are 1.5" further ahead than 66-70. I have moved the fire wall back on 62-65. A 2×4 laid across the fire wall. Then a bottle jack with a 4x4 placed between the 2x4 and the K frame. Its amazing how far you can move it. If you go to far it will put a small link in it. Look at this pic. Notice the body line is curved on the firewall behind the right valve cover/intake area. It's back 1.5" easy. Cant remember exactly how far I moved it. But my motor is back and I wanted a cross ram to fit.
DougView attachment 1031252

Thanks for the information. I may have to try that if I run into issues.

Has anyone swapped in a 6.4 hemi with the factory intake and SRV (short runner valve) attached? I'm looking to swap one into my 65 Coronet and would like to know if the firewall is going to need to be modified to clear the SRV. I'd rather not remove the SRV due to the horsepower bump it gives you. I know there have been some clearance issues with 66 and newer cars but haven't found anything on our forgotten earlier cars. I called TTI about their spool mounts but they actually don't know if the SRV will be an issue. I've also toyed with using the OC Performance intake but that just adds even more cost to the build. Any help would be appreciated.
A friend of mine just put a 6.4 in his 65 Coronet P.M. me and I'll get you in touch with him!

I’m planning a swap for my ‘64 Belvedere. Everything I’ve found points to no interference issues with the SRV, but it does look tight. Would be curious to know what answers you’ve come up with.

Use a 66’ and later k-frame and you’ll gain 1.-1.75” of firewall clearance. And yes, you’ll have a bunch of room up front for the radiator and fan(s).

Interesting, I wouldn’t have thought that. It seems counterintuitive that the 66-70 k-member would move the engine forward because when used with the original motors, they were moved rearward.

Thanks for the info.

The later K moves the engine/trans back towards the firewall. That is what I am using on mine. No gen3 Hemi but b-motor.

7370DAFB-D6ED-478E-8AC7-25EB70D29064.jpeg

The later K moves the engine/trans back towards the firewall. That is what I am using on mine. No gen3 Hemi but b-motor.

View attachment 1106025
Yep, use a 66-up k member in a 62-65, moves the engine and trans back toward the firewall, lessens clearance at the rear of the engine. And also cuts way down on tunnel clearance for the trans, something that might be needed for the bigger late model trans.

When I did mine, I could tighten the trans bolts to the back of the engine with ease and the passenger side head had decent clearance. That was with a Gen 3 Hemi and a 545RFE trans.

It would save you some aggravation if you jump into the project knowing you will have to do some creative work. If it all falls into place, count your blessings. On my setup since there were so many variables, 70 k-frame/Indy aluminum block/Schumacher spool mount conversion for Hemi style block mounts, I ordered my TTI units[ they make them for that specific engine combo I'm using] uncoated. I figured I would need to do some massaging here and there which did happen. After I get done they will get sent out for coating. I think it would be beneficial to you to do likewise.

You’re right about that. I’m already contemplating potential mods to the engine mounts and/or k-member. I’m also going with a manual transmission so eliminating the SRV shouldn’t have too big of an impact, but hopefully I can keep it.

Auto Transport Service
Back