• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 early production B-body transmission mount

thehemikid

Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
Any one here replace the grommet in one of these. I'm assuming it goes in and strattles the hole as the term "grommet" means to me..It's a tough little bugger as is and takes a big pair of channel lock to even think about getting it started. Tomorrow I'll try to heat it in hot water and maybe be more limber and collapse itself of it's own hole and go in. We'll see. Is that how you went about it or is there
a better way or a better tool I'm not thinking off.

Getting back around to this project where I left off ~ 25 yrs ago. Back then the old grommet was tore in half at the thin mid point and I used it that way all sandwiched to gather. That's the old one in the background in pic 2 with what ever I had at the time to conglomerate it together.

IMG_7630 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7633 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7634 - Copy.JPG

I wish i had changed mine to a different style, never knew these existed til i got my 62.. BTW.. can you show me the bolt that goes through that grommet? mine is just a bolt with like 2 built on washers and looks like it should have rubber in between them as it has like 1" of room to move around in the rubber on the crossmember. I haven't been able to find any information on this mount at all..

P.S. not sure what condition your rubber biscuit is in but they are only $22 new still

The original bolt was gone when I got the car back in 92. This is what was on it when I got it. Some one ran a bolt down from the top mount into the threaded plate and left a little protrusion for the coupler nut shown. Not much thread to work with but was enough that it worked for me about 3 yrs in the late 90's with no issues. They also tied the top and bottom plates together with 2 bolts for what appears the rubber mount was deteriorating. Not a bad idea, somebody worked with what they had.

I think I added 2 orange tuff rubber rings (pic coming later) to replace the lower broken half of the grommet. ...Faint memory coming back...think I ran 1 under the cross member, try'n to find the pic for that tho.

Appears the big nut was added to center the lower half of the grommet and wore a hex in it.

P.S. The grommet seems to be a bump stop for if the spring was to fully collapse.

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

The original bolt wasn't a whole lot different than what both of you are showing... Been 45+ years since I had my hands on one but it was basically a shoulder bolt with a made on washer

Thanks, i have the stock bolt, just had no idea what was supposed to be on it as all the rubber was gone.. will just make something up :)
BTW.. if you need a new biscuit they are $19.. here's a link

Trans mount..

Will a '63-'65 crossmember and later mount replace this? I know the later crossmember will bolt to the car's subframe, but is the mounting area on a 1962 tailshaft housing different than '63-'65? I have a 1964 transmission crossmember that I would donate to the cause for the cost of shipping from Ontario. Another member had one of these (1964) for sale on here recently.

Last edited:
Will a '63-'65 crossmember and later mount replace this? I know the later crossmember will bolt to the car's subframe, but is the mounting area on a 1962 tailshaft housing different than '63-'65? I have a 1964 transmission crossmember that I would donate to the cause for the cost of shipping from Ontario. Another member had one of these (1964) for sale on here recently.
Not sure... i thought i read it needs a a-body crossmember.. i'll look into it though..

Thanks, i have the stock bolt, just had no idea what was supposed to be on it as all the rubber was gone.. will just make something up :)
BTW.. if you need a new biscuit they are $19.. here's a link

Trans mount..

I do have a new mount, it's in the 1st pic of my 1st post, but thanks, nice to know of another source. A friend stopped by yesterday and saw mine and said he had 2 of those on his table at a swap meet and now he knows what they're for. :)

I've been curious about that myself not that I'll change mine over, I think it's a cool looking setup, different, but I'll measure the the center of the trans bolts to the front edge of the cross member for comparison.

I've been looking also with no luck so far. I know someone brought this up before and it wasn't that recent.
i brought it up a few times in the last year or so... that mount isn't even in my FSM.... i will make up a spacer for my bolt, no biggy :) it's just a trans what could go wrong..

Mine measured about 3-1/2" from the front edge of it's own cross member.

IMG_7681.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back