• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

62 to 65 B-Body Bumper Bolt Dimensions

69bfan

FBBO Vendor
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what were the dimensions for an original bumper bolt for the 62 to 65 B-Body applications? I know that they are 7/16", but does anyone know the dimensions of the head and the length of the threaded shaft. AMK list five different styles and none crosses over to the Mopar line. Auveco also has five different styles which a couple of the GM noted numbers match up. Most people are ok with using the more common GM style bumper bolt, but I would like to find the dimensions to see if I can find a more correct piece for the Mopar line. Thanks for any input.

Richard.. I have a western 63 Polara car here at the shop, and I am getting ready to pull
the rear bumper off this car. You talking about the ons's going from brackets into the frame?

I am attempting to find what would be the dimensions of an assembly line bolt that was used to hold the bumper to the bumper bracket. In particular, it would be nice to have an answer to the following questions:
1. Is the face of the bumper bolt relatively flat or does it have more a pronounced radius to it?
2. What is the approximate diameter of the "face" of the bolt?
3. What is the overall length of the threaded portion of the bolt?

Through the years, cars have been repaired or restored and so it would be nice to know the dimensions of an original bumper bolt. That way, from the various options that are available, I can possibly find a more correct bumper bolt to offer to our customers and vendors.

I can source some NOS hardware, but often times, the NOS hardware was super ceded pieces that do not truly reflect the assembly line hardware. Thus the question on what are you finding on original untouched cars.

@33 IMP , I am not aware of the bumper bolts being different between the front and back for the bolts that attach the bumper to the brackets. It they are different, that would be great information to know. I much more familiar with the 68 and 69 B-Bodies and know that hardware for the brackets are different from front to rear, but the bumper bolts are all the same.

@Dodge33, let me know what you find.

Again, thanks for all of the input.

If you are looking for the carriage bolts, just go to Mopar Classic Industries catalog and order from there. B-body size is 3/8" - 16 x 1" long and they come with a nut, Part Number is MN1700. A-body bolts are one size smaller in diameter. Bolts are same front and back.

@g413, thanks for the information. The 62 to 65 B-Bodies and 63 to 66 A-Bodies actually used a 7/16 inch bumper bolt/carriage bolt. The 66 to 74 B and E-Bodies and 67-76 A-Bodies used a 3/8-16 by one inch bolt. The correct 3/8 inch Mopar bumper bolt has a 0.87 inch head/facing which is unique to the Mopar line.

Many vendors carries the bumper bolt with the 0.84 inch head for the later model Mopars as they can be purchased in bulk at a better price than the more correct style. Granted, the 0.03 is basically not visible, but the original bolts had a flatter face than the current cheaper style.

I am trying to educate myself on what would be the most correct style for the 62 to 65 B-Bodies so that we can offer it to our customers and vendors. There is ten different variations of the 7/16 inch bumper bolt and from my suppliers not a one of them is marked as an OEM equivalent for the early B-Bodies. So just trying to do the research as to what will be the best fit.

Thanks for the information.

On the Classic bolts, I measured: Head Dia = 0.92", Thread Length = 0.98", and Head height = 0.125"
On the original bolts, I measured: Head Dia = 0.97", Thread Length = 1.10", and Head height = 0.28"
Head height is from the underside of the flat portion to the top of the arch.
Original bolts are from my 64 Sport Fury.

@g413, that is the exact kind of information that I was looking for based on an original bumper. That way, I can look at the possible variations to determine the best possible match. Thanks again for the information!!!!

Richard, I can take a clean bumper bolt out of a 63 Polara or a 65 Coronet bumper
if you like, and send it to you with an address.

Jerry and Jeff, @Dodge33, if you could, just place it in your Carlisle inventory and I will attempt to drop by or have one of the guys run over and pick it up. I have ordered two different styles, so it would be good to use as a comparison.

Jerry and Jeff, @Dodge33, if you could, just place it in your Carlisle inventory and I will attempt to drop by or have one of the guys run over and pick it up. I have ordered two different styles, so it would be good to use as a comparison.

Ok Richard..will do!

Auto Transport Service
Back