• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 carb question

Mrbagley

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the later carbs 66-73 for a 318. My 63 daily driver carb is shot . Sucking air thru sloppy throttle shafts. I see the later ones available at part stores. Trying to keep old girl running. Thought I would get one if they will work ok.

Check with one of our sponsors Woodruff Carburetor Specialties .
I bet they will help you out.

Later ones have an air cleaner stud mounted on a bracket at the top. The 63 should have the ring around the neck that the air cleaner clamps on to.

I've seen carb bodies worn while the shaft itself is fine. The carb body can be drilled, a bushing pressed in, and then drilled to the shaft diameter.

15 minutes work for a machinist.

I would send off the oem carb to the good builder and NOT try to buy a so called rebuild from the parts store!! Unless you are a lucky man!

Also to note. Chrysler used 2 different 2 bbl carbs for the poly 318 in the early 60's. It could be either a Carter or a Stromberg.
So it sounds like you want to retro fit a later 318 LA Carb from the mid 60's that would be a Carter BBD.To answer your question yes it can work.You may have some extra ports or connections depending on the year of the carb.

Last edited:
Later ones have an air cleaner stud mounted on a bracket at the top. The 63 should have the ring around the neck that the air cleaner clamps on to.

YES...the earlier carbs used a clamp band on the air cleaner mounting flange, later, after 1965 used a spring bale with a permanently attached stud. There were two carb suppliers: Stromberg 1-1/4" WWC3 and a Carter 1-1/4" BBD. After 1968, almost all carbs used were the Carter design. Easiest way to to tell is: how the fuel line enters the carb. The Carter enters from the front, the Stromberg enters from the choke side. The two can be interchanged, providing the fuel metering is adjusted to suit the application. There are many more Carter BBD carbs available than the Stromberg design, but both are difficult to find metering parts for (metering rods and jets for Carter which are totally different from the popular kits available). The '68 and later carbs were emission control designs and are lean by design and will likely need rejetted to operate on an earlier engine. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

YES...the earlier carbs used a clamp band on the air cleaner mounting flange, later, after 1965 used a spring bale with a permanently attached stud. There were two carb suppliers: Stromberg 1-1/4" WWC3 and a Carter 1-1/4" BBD. After 1968, almost all carbs used were the Carter design. Easiest way to to tell is: how the fuel line enters the carb. The Carter enters from the front, the Stromberg enters from the choke side. The two can be interchanged, providing the fuel metering is adjusted to suit the application. There are many more Carter BBD carbs available than the Stromberg design, but both are difficult to find metering parts for (metering rods and jets for Carter which are totally different from the popular kits available). The '68 and later carbs were emission control designs and are lean by design and will likely need rejetted to operate on an earlier engine. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Sounds all correct to me. I will say my 83 Ramcharger had a Holley on it that looked all most like the Carter BBD 1-1/4. I forget what year Mopar started using the Holley on the LA 318 as they were never on the Poly as they are to new for that. Also some of the later BBD 1-1/4's also had a mechanical arm to raise the metering rods along with the vacuum piston that works them. Many times at the dealer we had to raise them a tad since they were set so lean. Ron

I like the idea of using the existing carb if you can. You know everything will fit. Someone suggested sending it to Woodruff Carburetor Specialties, and I agree. I sent my Carter 2 bbl (from a 64 318 poly) to them and it worked great. Then I replaced the well-type choke with an electric choke, and it worked even better.

Auto Transport Service
Back