• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'64 Dodge C pillar help

DartGTDan

Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
My buddy & I have had questions about the C pillars on Dodge (and Plymouth) B-body cars for years. I'm a little more versed in A-body cars.

I happened to see the attached picture on the internet. I know both cars are '64 Dodge B-body cars. Can somebody explain, definitively, why there are 2 different style C pillars? The white car is obviously a post car, but my buddy has a non-post '63 Dodge 440 (the black car also attached below) with the same C pillar style.

Please HELP solve the mystery!

'64 B-Body (arrows).jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

1964 B-bodies went to a new, more aerodynamic tapered roofline for their 2-door hardtops. This roofline was carried over for 1965 intermediates. The sedans retained the more formal style, similar to 1963 rooflines. I have a 1964 Polara 4-door hardtop with the square roof. Although the '63 roofs look similar to the '64's, they are not the same. The '63 roofs had more of a downward taper to the shorter windshield, and have a small overhang of the rear window, which the '64 did not have. Advertising for the '64 sedans bragged of increased headroom versus 1963 models.
This more aerodynamic 1964 roof may have been influenced by Nascar racing in answer to Ford's 1963 1/2 fastback roof.

DSCF0001.JPG

P9060049.JPG

The cream sedan car is a 330, and the wine hardtop is a 440. That's the difference.

OK, so based on my Google image search all 1963 Dodge b-body cars (all trim levels) are sedans (2 door & 4 door included)?

With that said, starting in 1964 you could get a sedan or a hardtop (2 door or 4 door)? Is it based on trim level (330 vs. 440 vs. Polara)? Would the engine size define whether you got the sedan or the hardtop?

Thanks, still trying to learn!

OK, so based on my Google image search all 1963 Dodge b-body cars (all trim levels) are sedans (2 door & 4 door included)?

With that said, starting in 1964 you could get a sedan or a hardtop (2 door or 4 door)? Is it based on trim level (330 vs. 440 vs. Polara)? Would the engine size define whether you got the sedan or the hardtop?

Thanks, still trying to learn!
No, there were hardtops and convertibles, too. Sedans refer to cars that had a rigid "b" pillar from sill to roof; either 2- or 4-door. It is just that that 1963 hardtops had a more square "c" pillar, resembling the roof line of 1964 sedans. With the windows rolled down, a hardtop ( 2-door or 4-door ) has no "b" pillar. First picture is of 1963 Belvedere 2-door hardtop with no "b" pillar; second picture is 2-door sedan with "b" pillar.

GEDC0468.JPG

GEDC0228.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back