• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Plymouth Fury: power steering pump

You're my Hero!!! Gotta respect your commitment...
In 1971 my family was traveling from Madrid Spain to Germany in a 64 Chrysler.. It lost a blade of the fan & took out the water pump in Montpellier France... Took two weeks to get parts back then, I can only imagine how difficult it could be 50 years later...

Hi,

No I think it's easier than in the past due to internet and e-trade development. The only condition is to do yourself because there is no car repair garage for old american car here.
Fabrice

Your probably right, other than shipping parts still takes time.... Back then we took the car to a Simca Dealership...

This is the pump from my 64 fury parts car. Yours should be like this one.
20201111_145456.jpg
20201111_145509.jpg

Hi All,

@retractable: Yes your power steering pump looks like mine.
I ordered several seal kits to rebuilt on Rockauto site. Delivery is expected for next tuesday by Fedex. So rebuilt is planned next end of week. I will take pictures.

@edward: 200 bucks for you in USA. For france, I have to add shipping cost and custom tax. the cost should rise between 300 and 400 bucks. Maybe more with the old pump return. I prefer try to rebuilt before with 20 bucks seal kits.

Fabrice

You got this... Seal kit & a little labor...

Cool story, hope you get it sorted, as an 'A' body owner in Northern Ireland, i sympathise with the costs. Use Rockauto often. Have got parts in 2 days one time. How the H*** can they even do that.

IMG_0379.JPG

Yours is a TRW / Thompson pump. I bought the seal kit off eBay for mine. Decided to not pull the pulley and disassemble the entire pump assy. I just replaced the large O-ring for the reservoir and the little one for the back of reservoir where the screw goes. My leak is fixed.... easy job. You might try that first

Hello,

Yes I agree, sometime Rockauto parts arrive very fast. Depends on the location they come from, I think. I always use F...x to prepaid custom charges.

I will clean my pump to see, I hope, where is the problem exactly.

Fabrice

Hello,

Some news: Seal kits received today, waiting for pulley puller to rebuit the pump.

After cleaning, I see oil leak at big O ring and perhaps shaft seal, hard to see due to the pulley. No leak at the rear of the pump.

Fabrice

Hello All

No I don't forget you but I received my pulley puller tool only today. 20 days to pass the channel between UK and France, Grrrrrrrr.
I hope to fix my pump this afternoon. I will let you know, with pictures I hope.

Fabrice

Hello all,

I removed the power steering pump from my car and I changed some seals: I didn't touch the valves. As I am outside and it's night now, the pump is ready but I'll mount it tomorrow.
Some pictures below:

The beginning of disassembling
pompe_DA_1.jpg

The shaft seal removed
pompe_DA_2.jpg

rotor removed
pompe_DA_3.jpg

The pump ready to go back in the car
pompe_DA_4.jpg

The seals I changed
pompe_DA_5.jpg

The seal kit I used