• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 plymouth hood inside structure crack

retractable

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
I have had 3 Belvederes and Furys with cracks in the inner hood structure by the hood latch. Picture showing cracked area enclosed. The first was a 64 Belvedere that I had in 1968. The hood front corners would come up 2 or 3 inches when driving at 75 mph. I fixed that hood with installing pins to hold it down. No welder at the time. The last hood I was able to bend the inner structure back in place and weld it good. I am thinking of installing an extra 12 inch piece over the welded area and weld it in place to reinforce it.
Have others had this same problem??

20220501_134549.jpg

I have. I think my problem was caused by the hood hinges being somewhat under lubricated and the hood was hard to raise.
After looking at your picture again, mine was cracked further back, but looked the same as yours.

That can be a problem too. But that usually bends the hood about 1/4 up from the rear edge. I have seen a number of those hoods.

Clean off the rust and weld it. Done! Go have a beer.

Auto Transport Service
Back