• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara fiberglass hood with scoop

MWFan

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
Always liked the Super Stock look in the 60's Mopars, so I decided to put a scoop on the car. At the suggestion of a few folks on here, rather than sticking one on my pristine genie steel hood, I bought one with a scoop installed. I was pretty disappointed with the fit.
The front edge was "pushed in" nearly 3/4" on the passenger side and 1/2" on the drivers side, see the pics. I have done a lot of fiberglass boat work in the past so not too big a deal but between that and the waves along the edges it has been a safari. I'm getting close now, but it will never fit as nice as the original.
I wanted it to hinge so I reinforced the underside to accept the hinge brackets.

20200305_130553.jpg 20200221_173339.jpg 20200221_173328.jpg

I had bought a fiberglass scoop for my '65, but haven't mounted it yet. I was thinking of going with a unit like you did, to save my original hood, but don't think I want to go through the bother of the fitment and repairs. Also, I'll need a place to store the original, which probably won't go back on the car anyways...

I had bought a fiberglass scoop for my '65, but haven't mounted it yet. I was thinking of going with a unit like you did, to save my original hood, but don't think I want to go through the bother of the fitment and repairs. Also, I'll need a place to store the original, which probably won't go back on the car anyways...
If you can take the car to the hood and check how well it fits first you may be ok with a whole hood. The one I got was 250 miles away so I was just going on faith that it would be a close fit. It wasn't. You are right about what to do with the original hood. I thought I might sell it to recoup some money. Now I don't really know if I'll like the 'glass hood well enough to stay with it. When all is said and done I'll have nearly $900 in it.

Mw, looks like you got it going your direction. I was very happy with the glasstek hood and scoop the fit was great. I don't know we're you got it but looks like your headed the correct way. Did you modify the hood hinged also.

Mw, looks like you got it going your direction. I was very happy with the glasstek hood and scoop the fit was great. I don't know we're you got it but looks like your headed the correct way. Did you modify the hood hinged also.
Bearman, I ground a tiny bit on one part of the hinge, but other than that and removing the springs they are not altered. I have some springs that may work but I'm thinking to save stress on the 'glass I'll just use a prop rod.

Good idea with the prop rods. I have taken out the springs also going with struts when done I'll send you a pic. I hope it works I have seen them on the other brands so it should be ok.

Well here's the "rest of the story".
I have completed this little project and like all of my work it don't look too bad if ya don't look too close.
The paint match is a little off, the fiberglass is a little wavy and the hood is a half inch too short ( at the windshield).
I finally had to glass in 1" aluminum angle but I made the gate springs from Lowes work so no prop rods.
This was a "race" hood from Sled City. It left a lot to be desired but like Dudley Do Right, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

20200319_105231.jpg 20200319_105219.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back