• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Polara painting console

diemaker

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
I had my center console re chromed and would like to paint the black lines on it how would I does this and what product would I use?

Buy a paint pen, from places like Hobby Lobby. They sell them with various size tips and colors. I know you are looking for black, so just a little information.

I did mine with Krylon satin black and a small paint brush. I just spray some out in the cap, and go at it with a hobby brush. You can also use those little Testors or Tamiya bottles from your local hobby shop. You can clean up any paint slops on the high spots of the casting with paint thinners, so you don't have to be super careful. Good luck.
Pictures from my factory bucket seat/console Polara 4-door hardtop. Canada-only Sport Package.

P7120091.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

Last edited:
Buy a paint pen, from places like Hobby Lobby. They sell them with various size tips and colors. I know you are looking for black, so just a little information.
I’m concerned about what or will not stick to the chrome

I did mine with Krylon satin black and a small paint brush. I just spray some out in the cap, and go at it with a hobby brush. You can also use those little Testors or Tamiya bottles from your local hobby shop. You can clean up any paint slops on the high spots of the casting with paint thinners, so you don't have to be super careful. Good luck.
Pictures from my factory bucket seat/console Polara 4-door hardtop. Canada-only Sport Package.

View attachment 1604598

View attachment 1604601
Thanks Dave I’m concerned about it not sticking to the new chrome where in Ontario are you I’m in whitby

I am in the village of Copenhagen, southeast of London, down near Lake Erie.

When I've done delicate painting such as on emblems, trim and wheels, I've used Vaseline as the paint 'masking' on chrome, SS, and aluminum using spray paint.

Here are a couple of examples, on the FURY letters and Plymouth emblem.

20170507_132444.jpg

Plymouth Emblem .jpg

When I've done delicate painting such as on emblems, trim and wheels, I've used Vaseline as the paint 'masking' on chrome, SS, and aluminum using spray paint.

How did you apply the Vaseline and then remove it?

How did you apply the Vaseline and then remove it?
Hobby Lobby stocks unique Q-tips including tiny needle-pointed tips I’ve used for detailing work. Bright lighting and reduce my caffeine intake when doing this, lol. Doesn’t take much, a thin coat of the Vaseline and wipe off the overspray after the paint has cured. Also used them lightly moistened with alcohol to remove the overspray and Vaseline. Talented car bud gave me this idea when I was restoring an old set of Magnum wheels years ago using regular Q-tips and later came across these nifty needle tips at HL when I was restoring the ’63.

Auto Transport Service
Back