• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 rear brake drum removal

I didn't read this entire thread, so maybe a repeat, I used map gas to heat it, did all the normal hitting, pounding, cussing, and also took the puller off a few times and reset it.
Iirc, I heated the end of the axle at the nut and it finally let go. Took 7 hours.
The other side came off within 10 minutes.

I didn't read this entire thread, so maybe a repeat, I used map gas to heat it, did all the normal hitting, pounding, cussing, and also took the puller off a few times and reset it.
Iirc, I heated the end of the axle at the nut and it finally let go. Took 7 hours.
The other side came off within 10 minutes.
Yes - cussing is vital! My routine is ****, piss, ****...then if no success, I graduate to ya MF bitch...sometimes this has done da trick.

And when it lets go it will sound like a bomb going off ! Heat beat and more than likely the axle threaded end will be ruined.
Just swapped out my 63 Belvedere and installed Dr.Diff axles.Yes had to change the backing plates and drums to the 65 up.You can reuse the drums after cutting the swedge and removing the hub.
The housing studs on the axle flange need to be changed to longer ones. Dr.Diff has those too.
I should have taken photos..:(

Auto Transport Service
Back