• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere

Float levels are right. Fuel pressure between 5-6 lbs. Timing set at 18°. Total 39°.

Did a leak down test today. Checked for vacuum leak. Re-set valve clearence. All checked OK. The only thing I can think of is when the engine was on the stand I decided to freshen up the carb. I used Demon gaskets. That's all I had on hand. I thought I matched them up. Maybe I missed something. I noticed a very low, but steady, vacuum. 3.5hg

Found a couple issues. Secondary blades were slightly open. The Demon meter block gaskets compress much more than Holley gaskets, to the point of practically closing flow. Installed 3.5 PV's, a PCV and adjusted timing. Initial timing is now 23° @950rpm. Total 37°. Vacuum is 6in/Hg. Seems to run very strong. I'm a little concerned about that much intial timing.

20180911_103644.jpg

Good looking car! What size and brand are your rear tires?

They're Firestone Dragster 8.20-15. They have that period look, but good god they are heavy! And they don't bite worth a crap. I'll definitely change to the Goodyears or Hoosiers at the strip.

20180911_103719.jpg

Well then back down to 18*. It seems to be the magic number for most of the BB builds.
I'm leaning towards staying at 23°. Starts easy, no kick back, no knocking, runs strong. The vacuum falls off 1.5" - 2" hg when I set timing at 18°. I guess it is what it is.

streetwedge, that's one good looking car. you have done a great job looks race ready just setting still awesome work.

Auto Transport Service
Back