• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66-67 Charger rivals

JAmes Dodge

Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to know which where the '66-67 Charger rivals back in those days (1966/1967)? I'm woring in a T-shirt for an event here in Brazil, and the theme need to have a Mopar, Ford and GM cars. thanks!

Ford would have been the Galaxies/Fairlane, and Chevy would be the Chevelle, these 2 plus the Chargers could have been found competing at Nascar in 66/67, and were all street rival/bullies.

Pearson66_zps00b09770.jpg

1965_Holman_Moody_NASCAR_Ford_Galaxie_Dick_Hutcherson_Race_Car_For_Sale_Front_resize_zpsd9f73a9b.jpg

359021-870-0_zps79938499.jpg

Wow, yeah. Hard to believe that Ford raced that BIG ole Galaxie.
Here is Petty in 66
66GTX2_01.jpg

Sorry James but the 66-7 Chargers had no rivals! I guess a plymouth would be the closest!

Ok Old Skool, I was thinking exactly in Chevelles and Fairlanes, maybe Galaxies in the tracks, but because the size I thought the Galaxies where direct rivals to the Polara/Fury models, aren't?
Any other models from GM and Ford?

thanks!!

Ford would have been the Galaxies/Fairlane, and Chevy would be the Chevelle, these 2 plus the Chargers could have been found competing at Nascar in 66/67, and were all street rival/bullies.

Pearson66_zps00b09770.jpg

1965_Holman_Moody_NASCAR_Ford_Galaxie_Dick_Hutcherson_Race_Car_For_Sale_Front_resize_zpsd9f73a9b.jpg

359021-870-0_zps79938499.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok good point of view, so do you think the Satellites and Coronets would be the rivals to the Chevelles and Fairlanes? Being the Charger a unique in his class?

thanks

Sorry James but the 66-7 Chargers had no rivals! I guess a plymouth would be the closest!

gto

The Charger was built to compete in the "luxury sports car" venue when new in 1966 with the Thunderbird, Grand Prix, El Dorado, Rivera and later the Tornado. Chevrolet did not have an offering in this category until 1970 with the Monte Carlo

I think the A body GM offerings like the Chevelle/Malibu, Lemans/Tempest, Cutlass, and Skylark would've been the closest. The AMC Marlin was a good call too. Merc's Cougar would have been a good choice, but the Comet fits in there also. If you look at some archives of some magazines like Road & Track, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and some others that have passed on, I'm sure there are some new car comparison tests that will give you an idea of who the direct competitors were back in the day. I don't believe they used the same nomenclature back then as they do now to slot cars size-wise, ie: A, B, C (etc)-segment cars. They had full, mid-sized, pony, and compact. Charger was a fast-backed Coronet, a B-body, and therefore considered a mid-size.

Auto Transport Service
Back