• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66/'67 Interior Door Panel Question??

tyallis

Local time
7:36 AM
Reaction score
Got a specific question that I'm stumped on... Later this winter I will be installing a new set of interior panels into my '66 Coronet. In preparation, I recently removed the mismatched panels that were installed when I got the car and have stumbled across a head-scratcher. See pictures...

Is the chrome trim on top of the door card supposed to be crimped to the panel, or screwed to the door? My drivers side door panel has the trim piece attached to itself, vs. the passengers side is screwed to the door shell threw factory screw holes. Which is correct? P.S. - I know that the drivers side door is not original to the car.

I assume the chrome is to be screwed to the door shell and acts as the top retainer, but am curious if anyone here can confirm? and/or shed some light on the two radically different mounting methods?

According to Legendary, all 66-70 B-bodies (Dodge and Plymouth) require 13 clips for door panel attachment; my goofy drivers side door panel had 18 clips around the entire perimeter.

Thanks in advance. Tyler

IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2914.JPG IMG_2912.JPG

Last edited:
Correct is screwed to door. Plus you must have a plastic moisture barrier on the metal door to protect the door card from damage like you have on existing card. You can buy the barriers from Legendary or other suppliers. They are made from heavy gauige plastic sheet with hole already cut out.

the trim is on my panel .. 66 plymouth

Correct is screwed to door. Plus you must have a plastic moisture barrier on the metal door to protect the door card from damage like you have on existing card. You can buy the barriers from Legendary or other suppliers. They are made from heavy gauige plastic sheet with hole already cut out.
Thanks snakeoil,

I assume you are referring to a Coronet? I plan to use a plastic barrier, along with Dynamat. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:
the trim is on my panel .. 66 plymouth
hacksaw,

Thanks. I had a suspicion that this door may be off a Plymouth instead. In that case, does your card has clips along the top perimeter? What I'm puzzled by, is the fact that the Coronet style door card has clip mounts along the top edge, which is not how they are supposed to attach on a Dodge.

On my 66 Belvedere, those chrome strips screw into the door and is used as a top retainer.
Hemi, 354,

Thank you. Seems they may have had a couple different mounting methods, for some reason.

hacksaw,

Thanks. I had a suspicion that this door may be off a Plymouth instead. In that case, does your card has clips along the top perimeter? What I'm puzzled by, is the fact that the Coronet style door card has clip mounts along the top edge, which is not how they are supposed to attach on a Dodge.
yes ... 18 clips .. oddly .. my drop top is (was) screwed on trim ... the door cards in the pic are off of a 2 door hard top.

27625506_1565093706937807_4529881505846250722_o.jpg

yes ... 18 clips .. oddly .. my drop top is (was) screwed on trim ... the door cards in the pic are off of a 2 door hard top.

View attachment 569383
Strange... "Hemi 354" has a '66 Belvedere with screw-on trim. Wonder what the deal is with the 2 different mounting styles on the same cars?? Not that it makes much of a difference, or poses a big problem. Just weird...

Last edited:
its not weird at all. these cars are 50 years olus old. After that many years the door panels fall apart and people put them back on with eztra fasenters, glue and all kinds of crap. Plus they could have cobbled the parts from other junk!

its not weird at all. these cars are 50 years olus old. After that many years the door panels fall apart and people put them back on with eztra fasenters, glue and all kinds of crap. Plus they could have cobbled the parts from other junk!
ya .. true that .... lol. The farther i go with mine the more i think it was done in tijuana ....

Auto Transport Service
Back