• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66/67 Vent windows - not a good substitute for 1970 Conv vent windows

Chris Many

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
In my search for vent windows for my 70 conv project, I found a few forum posts here stating that 66/67 will work on a 70 convertible with a slight modification. So I bought one. Well as I have usually found with messages about earlier years working on my car, they usually don't work. 68 & earlier Door latches and 66/67 heater boxes come to mind.

With that said I present the differences between a 1970 Conv vent window and the 66/67 style.

1) Drip edge/lip where the chrome piece meets the door is cut back on the 70 version. It would take a bit of grinding to make it fit a 70 door.
2) The rear mounting piece uses a U-nut on the 66/67 version. in 70 there is just a slot. Easy mod to make.
3) The tracks are longer on a 66/67 and there is a bracket with a nut welded to it. Some cutting and grinding to make them the same.
4) There is a well defined detail line running down the chrome piece. can't hide that.
5) From the side the tappers are different at the top and bottom of the chrome piece where it meets the windshield pillar weather seal. This will probably result in some interference with the convertible top weather seal.
6) The 66/67 doesn't have the mounting screw hole tapped into the above mentioned face. drill and a tap should work.

So if you are thinking of using a 66/67 vent window on your 70, this is what you will have to deal with.

Anyone want a 66/67 vent window?

PC183010.JPG PC183008.JPG PC183009.JPG PC183011.JPG PC183013.JPG

Thanks for your informative post on this subject. I'm one of the guilty parties who told you of my success with this approach on my 68 convertible. I'm sorry to have misguided you.

That said, I didn't much care for the tone of your post. In my experience members here do their best to pass on acquired knowledge. You suggest what info you've been given is wrong more often than not. I guess we're all still learning.

One thing I've learned is I won't be responding to any further posts from you requesting parts or information.

Best wishes with your project!

Hello ,tryed to answer you ,I have a very nice 70 vent window assy and yes I have the other bracket it’s already boxed up I’m in CT Bought a mint dr for my car didn’t know there was a difference I had to swap everything over my cars a post car 200.00 plus shipping

Auto Transport Service
Back