• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Belvedere Trunk Trim Resto

VFilms

Local time
2:17 PM
Reaction score
Beside the obvious, tape off and paint, does anyone know a better way to paint the letters on the trunk trim panel?
I've de-anodized and polished the trim and now have to lay down the argent. Then paint the letters black. I can't imagine how the factory painted these letters.
Has anyone done this or have a good idea? The attached photo is before repair and polishing.
Thanks

Trunk Trim.jpg

I filled mine with paint and wiped it off with a rag.

Tape it up, cut out letters with exacto knife and spray it with correct color black. In the case of a Satellite, black & red. Patience!!
IMG_0099.JPG

I filled mine with paint and wiped it off with a rag.
I thought of doing that but it seems like the trim black paint would effect the argent paint surrounding the letters. How did you handle that?

Grab a adult beverage for steady hands , a modeling paint brush some Testors black model paint and have at it. ( I used a air brush on mine) Just like kindergarten, color inside the lines. Take your time and you'll do just fine. Maybe find a old Chevy trim piece to practice on... LOL (read that somewhere here)

Are the letters shinny black? I have 5 panels and all look like the letters are faded, thought that was the way..
Belvedere II

Are the letters shinny black? I have 5 panels and all look like the letters are faded, thought that was the way..
Belvedere II
I have restored all the side trim, grill and head light bezels. The black I used is SEM Trim Black and it looks as close to OEM as possible. Had to tape off all the side trim to paint the small black inserts on either side of the argent. Then tape up to the center and lay down a light coat of silver. Actually better than OEM. Before I restored the trunk panel I took some pics and the black in the lettering does look faded. Not sure if it came like that when new or the years have taken their toll.

I have restored all the side trim, grill and head light bezels. The black I used is SEM Trim Black and it looks as close to OEM as possible. Had to tape off all the side trim to paint the small black inserts on either side of the argent. Then tape up to the center and lay down a light coat of silver. Actually better than OEM. Before I restored the trunk panel I took some pics and the black in the lettering does look faded. Not sure if it came like that when new or the years have taken their toll.
I have all nos side molding and one nos headlight door plus the nos grill. Those are black, not faded, but didn’t know about the trunk panel. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back