• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger .. gauges not working

Nice car, don't see too many in that dark green color...sounds like you know your electrical systems if you rewired the car and got most everything working...

Mark

just a small sample of what I have collected since 1974

Bryan

- - - Updated - - -

condenser, suppressor, whatever it's called..it's not the limiter...the limiter is built into the fuel gauge, that's why there are 3 wires on gas gauge

Bryan

That's interesting...if I hook up my amp gauge that way it reads backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

someone wanted pix so here they are. heres the story with this car:

to look at it its nuthin special EXCEPT..there is absolutely no rust or rot on this car. when i met my buddy and this car it was DEAD. he had the motor and tranny built 10 years ago and it sat for that long without being started BECAUSE.... someone cut ALL of the underhood wiring and my buddy had no idea how to wire it back up, so it sat in this garage for 10 years. i spent 3 weeks tracing and rewiring this car. installed new style charging and ignition systems ( stock Mopar ). when it was time to fire it up....i poured a bit of gas in the carb and it immediately came to life with no hesitation....didnt sputter and die....it stayed running on the first turn of the key. its a 383 .

as far as the gauges BRYAN...i kinda figgered that too..being that if the wires were all cut....something bad was bound to happen. but the electro-luminescent lights work and we have all needed after market gauges in there. heres a few pixx.

View attachment 100991View attachment 100992View attachment 100993View attachment 100994

Nice looking car! Like the green ones.

Nice car, don't see too many in that dark green color...sounds like you know your electrical systems if you rewired the car and got most everything working...

Mark
thanx gibber...it wasnt easy i can tell you that. my eyes crossed a million times from lookin at that schematic. just a basic knowledge of how electricity works...and i did alot of learning in the process too !

Last edited:
I have used the color laminated schematics for working on my Chargers and 340 Demon. Alot easier to read! If you used the original Chrysler black and white one out of the shop manual, even more impressive!!

Mark

I have used the color laminated schematics for working on my Chargers and 340 Demon. Alot easier to read! If you used the original Chrysler black and white one out of the shop manual, even more impressive!!

Mark
i have a color one for my Javelin..DEFINITELY alot easier, but for that 66 charger i used the factory schematic coz thasts all i had.just tossed on my 'see-goods"..and away i went. !

Looks familure,
A few years back I ordered the rebuilding kit from the guy down in Houston. Come with the special wire and large instruction book on how to rewire your instruments and info on how to build your own regulator. They work good now.

Steve Cass, Bastrop Texas

Attachments

• 100_1400.jpg
    100_1400.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 224
If you knew how much that wire actually costs...amazing how much $$$$ he wanted for a piece to do just one gauge (it takes about 15 inches of wire)...anyways, glad you were able to get them working...

Mark

My gauges are similar. The light is working, but the gauge needles are non functional at this point. smh. Installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge as well as the factory sensor.

A friend loaned me a service manual. plan is to hunt down the problems one at a time. If it turns out to be one connection, that's great.
I was using drawings from the web and tracing the wire colors with mouse paint. It would be easier to have one drawing, layered with wire systems and colors, but that option isn't available.

Auto Transport Service
Back