• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Charger - things to look for?

Vrenlos

Local time
9:33 PM
Reaction score
I'm taking a little drive on Monday to go check out a '66 Charger. Aside from some light paint damage on the driver's sail panel, need of a carb rebuild and/or tuning, and some gauge issues the car looks to be in pretty excellent shape and untouched. Looks like the Poly 318 with auto trans.

Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for? And advice? Thanks!

Make sure the dash lights up. Getting that fixed can be complicated. Outside of that, just check the usual b body suspicious areas. Trunk, rear framerails, rockers, battery area. Floor boards.

Welcome to the forum

Last edited:
Check out everything!
Look underneath for any sign of framerail rust, torsion bar cross member, trunk pan, floor pan, etc. Does the wiring looked messed with type of stuff. Electric issues due to old corroded connections are common.

Does it start and run? The poly has solid tappets and is a good motor. If it has a 4bbl manifold you are ahead of the game.

Agree with the others comments. If it has not already been done IMHO this is what it will probably need : new fuel tank and lines, new brake lines and brake inspection, full rebuild of front suspension, new rear springs for openers. Also check body around base of rear window, typical rot out area..

Thanks, very much appreciated! According to the owner it'll "start right up, but isn't getting enough fuel and doesn't run right." She also claims the suspension has been recently redone, though I am curious about the brakes.

Pictures inside and out don't outwardly show any rust, but I'll be crawling underneath with a flashlight for sure. It's not uncommon here in the Pacific NW...lots of rain but no winter salt on the roads.

Figured I may as well share here - let me know what you guys think!

XBlIX60.jpg

xCWAnTT.jpg

yttyQUk.jpg

SnwO7I4.jpg

dXjQQmL.jpg

VsjfKr4.jpg

aGgZRCD.jpg

That's it?! I was expecting something a little more worn out and rusty lol. That looks very nice and well maintained!!!!!

I don't know the market for the 1st generation Chargers but that looks well worth buying. Is the asking price something you consider a decent buy?

She’s a sweetheart. Good luck on the review. Nice looking Charger

That's it?! I was expecting something a little more worn out and rusty lol. That looks very nice and well maintained!!!!!

I don't know the market for the 1st generation Chargers but that looks well worth buying. Is the asking price something you consider a decent buy?
That's why I'm asking for things to look for, I want to be sure it's not too good to be true! The price is slightly higher than I wanted to spend, but it also looks like a *lot* less of a project than I was expecting. It's definitely below the Haggerty guidelines.

That's why I'm asking for things to look for, I want to be sure it's not too good to be true! The price is slightly higher than I wanted to spend, but it also looks like a *lot* less of a project than I was expecting. It's definitely below the Haggerty guidelines.

If no hidden rust, mechanical is a piece of cake. I wouldn't touch the interior or exterior.

SWEET RIDE!!! Love the 66 lines !!!

I know this is a wildly variable kind of question...but what do you all think is a reasonable price?

Congrats......Good choice...If you have never had one, you are about to meet more people than you think. Every time you stop for gas, the store or even stop lights, someone will walk or drive up to tell you, someone they knew had one.....yeah it never gets old. Good luck.

First things first.
Welcome.jpg

Next.

Do the headlights "work"?
Did you know about this?

upload_2018-9-6_8-23-8.jpeg

Hey! Look what I just found.
new_zpse2dc927c.jpg

Last edited:
Every time you stop for gas, the store or even stop lights, someone will walk or drive up to tell you, someone they knew had one.....yeah it never gets old. Good luck.

Really?
I thought that only happens with Dusters.
Ask me how I know.
With a first generation Charger I would imagine it's more likely they will ask what it is.
Which I think is a lot more fun.
Then again, the badging probably does give the Charger away.

But he can still make their heads twitch.
"So, did that one have a semi-hemi in it like this one"?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back