• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger variable wiper switch power leak...

GassMann

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
I have an odd problem I need to bounce off the brain trust.

I am just about finished with my full rebuild of my 66' Charger. I rebuilt the dash, body and engine wiring harness... replaced every wire with new color and trace matching wire. No fuses installed yet. All switches in the off position so there should be no power flow.

I noted that when I connected the battery, I got a small spark. What??? Yea... a small spark like a light was on. Disconnected the battery and chased ground around the car and found my wiper switch has a power leak some how. Not a lot but just enough to heat wire but enough to drain a battery over a few days.

Checking the ohms and I see 0.217 ohms. The wiper switch is original and DAMN... replacing it is expensive.

Suggestions. Any idea are welcom.

The wiper motor assembly itself turns off the power in the "park" position.

The wiper motor assembly itself turns off the power in the "park" position.
Thanks for the reply Don. Can you explain? I have the motor assembly harness disconnected on the engine compartment side and still see a 1.213 ohm reading where there should be a full 1 no connection. So it can't be the motor assembly so the switch was suspect. I disassembled the switch, cleaned it, greased with dialectic grease and reinstalled the dash harness.

But looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see how the power flows between the battery and the wiper switch. Recall, I pulled all the fuses... the fuse box has nothing but air gap so no energy is flowing through that junction.

OK perhaps a little more complicated than I initially thought.
I'll look into it some more to better understand what you've written.
Hopefully I can be of help.

I have a 67 Service Manual here:

The B terminal on the switch (Pink) wire would have 12V power with the ignition in ACC or RUN.
So if the key was off then why you were leaking power through the switch is a mystery?

Here is chart for switch functions:
DzrjsEw1H0PMwRnuLHuGnms=w1300-h975-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Unplug the switch. Still have a power drain?

Verify the colors
B=Pink
P=Dark Blue
A=Brown
F1=Red
F2=Green
W=? (sometimes white, sometimes brown with a tracer)

I have an odd problem I need to bounce off the brain trust.

I am just about finished with my full rebuild of my 66' Charger. I rebuilt the dash, body and engine wiring harness... replaced every wire with new color and trace matching wire. No fuses installed yet. All switches in the off position so there should be no power flow.

I noted that when I connected the battery, I got a small spark. What??? Yea... a small spark like a light was on. Disconnected the battery and chased ground around the car and found my wiper switch has a power leak some how. Not a lot but just enough to heat wire but enough to drain a battery over a few days.

Checking the ohms and I see 0.217 ohms. The wiper switch is original and DAMN... replacing it is expensive.

Suggestions. Any idea are welcom.
I just finished a complete resto on a wiper motor and it did not work properly. The problem was in the switch. The one spring loaded contact was stuck from heat and hardened grease. You can disassemble the factory switch by bending the peened areas around the diameter of the switch outward and switch comes apart easily. Be careful and dont loose any parts. take it apart over a clean white towel. Clean and scotchbrite all the contacts and make sure the spring loaded contacts move up and down. if not repair them as needed. I hope this helps. this cured my problem and no shorts and no problems since.

I just finished a complete resto on a wiper motor and it did not work properly. The problem was in the switch. The one spring loaded contact was stuck from heat and hardened grease. You can disassemble the factory switch by bending the peened areas around the diameter of the switch outward and switch comes apart easily. Be careful and dont loose any parts. take it apart over a clean white towel. Clean and scotchbrite all the contacts and make sure the spring loaded contacts move up and down. if not repair them as needed. I hope this helps. this cured my problem and no shorts and no problems since.
long delay in responding but I did just this. It did solve my leak problem. Now I am chasing other gremlins. :-(

I have a 67 Service Manual here:

The B terminal on the switch (Pink) wire would have 12V power with the ignition in ACC or RUN.
So if the key was off then why you were leaking power through the switch is a mystery?

Here is chart for switch functions:
View attachment 1455799
Thanks Don... I will run this test. I also converted to LED lights and am struggling to get the LED flasher to work as well. Not sure it is drawing enough power.

Auto Transport Service
Back