• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 charger, which rear shocks??

400sforever

Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
ive got a 66 charger 361 4 speed all stock. What are my rear shock options? It still has the original leaf springs and I don't want to have any rear sag issues. I'm not wanting to re arch springs yet.Are air shocks my only option for now or is there something else with adjustable ride height that will also "ride" nice?

these could work for you
58577 Monroe

partImageDisplay.jpg

Gas charged shocks actually have a little outward pressure.
How does it sit today? If it's not too low then put a good set of gas units in it, maybe lower the front a bit and minimize the weight in the trunk etc.
Then drive it as much as you can.
KYB is probably the best for your dollar, but there are several good types available.

Monroe has a shock with a helper spring. I have them on my charger. part#58577 They picked the rear up about 2". They ride nice too. Pat

I think it's going to sag a little in the rear. I've completely rebuilt the front end and don't have the torsion bars set where I want them yet. It had old air shocks on it from back in the day so I'm assuming it must have been sagging back then. I just now have it sitting on new redline tires. It had been out in the weeds since 79

The shock absorber crossmember is meant for shocks, not for supporting the weight of the car. I know people did it all the time but there's also plenty of members on here that can show you their tweaked crossmembers from having air shocks on them.

I'm running KYB's and don't recommed them, I don't feel that they do a great job of controlling the rebound and dampening giving it a boatlike feel. I'd get the car setup where you want it in the front then re arch the leafs or replace them, I've seen them pretty cheap at Summit.

Ya I noticed it is a pretty flimsy support piece

I'm going to buy new Espo springs for my Satellite. Made in the USA and stock Hemi springs for my car are $250.

Auto Transport Service
Back