• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Coronet power steering return line

Dakar Timm

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
My father in law had power steering installed on the '66 . I'm of the understanding several differant brands of power steering pumps might have been used .
Are the power steering return lines all the same ? How would I know which return line to order ? Thank you

The 66 steering box has a 5/8” return hose. 1967 and newer are 11/32” which is between 3/8 and 5/16.

so what size does your pump and box have?

usually you use straight bulk hose for this. Oil hose is best. But I’ve used 5/8” heater hose and small fuel line. It works for many years but it will deteriorate so replace every few years.

Last edited:
The current hose is a combination of differant types and sizes clamped together . It must be 5/8" at the steering box and 5/16" at the pump. I was hoping to find an replacement hose that included both sizes

Gates sells the proper hose. If your pump doesn't have a 5/8" return some adapting is needed. I have the proper TRW pump housing with 5/8" return.
P1050017.JPG
PSR HOSE.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back