• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Satellite 8 3/4" new leaf spring u-bolt size (length)

hofferwood

Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi all
Well my old stock springs are shot, it looks like my ex-wife and her sister are in the trunk----bad.
It's an original 318 car, now with a mild fresh built 383-auto trans.
So I bought the springs in the photos, from https://www.generalspringkc.com/ . They are their Hemi/440 springs 6 and 7 leafs.
What I need to know is the bolt length.
Thanks
Oh, by the way, I ordered these on Tuesday the 26th and got them on Thursday the 28th. Two days from Kansas to Mich.---I was impressed.

springs 2.JPG

springs 1.JPG

Hi all
Well my old stock springs are shot, it looks like my ex-wife and her sister are in the trunk----bad.
It's an original 318 car, now with a mild fresh built 383-auto trans.
So I bought the springs in the photos, from https://www.generalspringkc.com/ . They are their Hemi/440 springs 6 and 7 leafs.
What I need to know is the bolt length.
Thanks
Oh, by the way, I ordered these on Tuesday the 26th and got them on Thursday the 28th. Two days from Kansas to Mich.---I was impressed.

View attachment 1581409

View attachment 1581408
7" to 8" , your axle tube is 3"
8s you will prob end up cutting little off when done.
Make sure the inside of the tube concave is flat were it rides on the tube.
Some of the cheaper ones are round and makes it easy to dent the tube.
Don't go nuts with the impact it's pretty easy to dent the tube.

Mancini has the proper U bolts that will not dent your axle tube.

The old 7", give or take, O/Length that came off the car will work just fine. Factory 6/7 leaf U bolts are 7 7/8" O/L and there's over an inch of wasted thread sticking out of them.

Thanks Guys!!!!

The old 7", give or take, O/Length that came off the car will work just fine. Factory 6/7 leaf U bolts are 7 7/8" O/L and there's over an inch of wasted thread sticking out of them.
Thanks dadsbee, I'll try the old ones first. If they're too short, Mancini's only about an hr from me, and my brother works up there quite a bit. They do have walk in service.
Thanks again
Chuck

Quick Update;

The old u-bolts worked out just fine!!!!
I ran a 1/2x20 die up the exposed threads, just to knock off old rust and ka ka-----------perfect.

Thanks Again
Chuck

You might use a tiny bit of red Loc-tite or even blue on the nuts to make sure they don't back off.....

You might use a tiny bit of red Loc-tite or even blue on the nuts to make sure they don't back off.....

I did use blue loc-tite on all the nuts and bolts, greased the shackles and new bushings, pulled the front hanger cleaned them up and painted 'em.

Got some pic's too, but I haven't even looked at them yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back