• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Wagon upgrade

70chall440

Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, Iv'e posted some wagon questions here previously so this might seem familiar. I thought I would post some information and pictures in case someone out there is thinking about doing some of the same things and to get other opinions as this proceeds.

The background here is that this is not my car, it is a friends who has owned the car for ~20 years. This car began life as a \6 AT low option car. The car was sold originally to the forestry department where I am told it served faithfully. Eventually it was retired and someone bought it and used it for some years. As is normally the case, at some point it was permanently retired and parked beside a house where it sat for many years outside. At some point the current owner found the car and bought it as he has a "thing" for wagons. I believe the car was worked on a little over the years but at some point the owner decided to drop in a healthy 440 6 pack and 4 speed. Additionally, he bought a hood and installed a 6 pack hood scoop and like many of us, thought about what could be.

I came into the picture earlier this year because my friend has some health issues which precludes his ability to do a lot of the necessary work to make this car usable and since I have a full shop and still can do a lot of the hard work, I agree to get this project moving forward. The initial "deal" was that if he could bring me the car, I would do the following;

1. Install 4 wheel disc brakes
2. Install the EFI 6 pack system
3. Install a new wiring harness
4. Install a new 3rd member

I initially wanted to do the fuel system and EFI system to ensure that it all worked before moving to the wiring harness. In order to facilitate the modification of the fuel system, I decided to remove the 3rd member which of course means removing the axles. Granted, I didn't need to do that but since I was planning to remove the 3rd member anyway, it provided some room under there. I should note that the owner had purchased an aftermarket rear brake system from Summit which a buddy of his began installing but never finished.

Upon removing the fuel tank I discovered that the floor was completely rotted out, specifically the section that holds the tank in place, so I began developing a plan to replace this. Initially I had planned to make a new floor section but then discovered that a pan from a 66-67 sedan was the same thing so we ordered one of those. There were 2 main sections that needed to be replaced, the front section (part over the axle) and the foot well for the 3rd row seating (spare tire area in 66-67 B bodies). In the planning for this, the owner asked me to look at the spare tire compartment (which was badly rusted) and stated that he really wanted it eliminated, so that was added to the list.

So far I have replaced a section of the floor over the rearend and I just finished eliminating the spare tire area. I will post more as this project goes along. I will post pictures next.

As promised, here are some pictures.

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG

Some more, the hood had some issues, evidently a family of mice once lived in the inner bracing. The area where the latch bolts up was pretty bad so I cut it out, made a new inner plate and repaired the outer skin. Also, while the scoop fit very well, the area that was cut wasn't ever finished, so I spent some time to finish that area out.

IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1230.JPG IMG_1227 (1).JPG IMG_1257.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1223.JPG IMG_1211 (1).JPG IMG_1210.JPG

The next area was the part above the rear axle. Interesting issue, I was very surprised to find that there was a line from the fuel tank up into the car, through a filter and back out again. It was very obvious that this was a factory arrangement but I could not believe that they would run a fuel line into the passenger compartment of the car.

IMG_1329.JPG IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1317.JPG 60720212647__06489BED-F716-44B5-AC67-D2FC18B75240.JPG

Next up was the spare tire elimination effort. This was a little challenging because the replacement floor pan is for a sedan, not a wagon so there was some areas that were not fix by the replacement pan. The concept was to completely eliminate the spare tire compartment. The owner of the car is an interior guy and has a plan to make an inner panel since the original wagon one has a bulge for the tire.

Once I cut out the part I needed from the replacement pan and got it fit, I needed to make another piece to bridge the gap to the inner quarter panel. After that I made a piece to cover the top radius and then finally the inside panel.

IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1370.JPG IMG_1369.JPG IMG_1337.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1363.JPG IMG_1335.JPG

Next up is the foot well, I will post some pictures after I get that sorted, but here are a couple of what I found after removing the tank.

IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1140.JPG

Got some work done on the car, first I used a gauge I made to mark a set distance from the top on both the car and replacement panel. I think used a cut off wheel to trim the car and cut out the foot well on the new panel. Then I had to recover the gas tank mounts from the old rusty floor, clean them up, drill some holes in them and modify them slightly to work. After that, I had to figure out a way to hold the new foot well in place and adjust it to line it up, ended up using a couple of 2x4 and some 3/4" long bolts. I got it very close to being aligned perfectly but there are some spots where the gap it wider than I would prefer but I will have to live with it and make it work. Tomorrow I will begin welding..

IMG_1387.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back