• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 charger drum to disc swap questions.

DOMIN8R

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to the DIY mechanics projects and need some help replacing my break system. I have a 1967 Dodge charger, originally had Drum breaks and previous owner tried to swap out the front for disk breaks. The break pedal I have to mash to the floor and it feels like it eventually coasts to a stop. Not at all confident. In doing some research I think the problem is the disc breaks won’t work with the current master cylinder and booster since they are for drum. Can anyone confirm this? Also I want to replace everything! New booster, master cylinder, break lines, full front and back disc conversion kit. I don’t want to order the wrong parts. Can anyone help guide me to get the correct parts and suggestions on where to get them. Right now I’ve looked on jegs, however looks like there is room for error if you don’t order correctly. I’m also speculating the front end is not original, maybe off or coronet. There are no pre drilled holes on the body for the chrome side strips. Thanks everyone and I appreciate your patience. I’m looking to make this my dream hobby now that I have a little time and a couple bucks!!!

FD69D103-C676-4394-A373-6CA5D1928AC1.jpeg

C0FC825F-A3DD-4BA4-93A7-8FCC801DCAB3.jpeg

A72E3ED6-D785-4E42-B7AA-24B6F6FFEAA8.jpeg

03CF137A-4968-44EB-9B2C-A343738036DD.jpeg

8F7C3419-322C-4BD0-9EAB-8FDAEB883E69.jpeg

B829E814-F7E2-41F0-A4DA-6A915F968887.jpeg

A8E9F393-924A-4E03-94FB-F53ABCEAC602.jpeg

870D4271-3BD4-43E5-AFDB-C02BEE2C146C.jpeg

B9E87309-F6F3-4337-9F6F-83E3EE8FD4F8.jpeg

D9FD5757-4EC0-4F75-AAF4-BA4C024F04A5.jpeg

Welcome to FBBO

also maybe try using the search feature
at the top right of the page
enter your criteria, probably already 100's of posts about it here

good luck

Welcome! You have the factory bendix disc brake booster, and master. By the looks of it, your car came with power disc brakes.
Maybe the last guy was trying to put newer calipers on it?

Welcome from NY.

Sounds like it has air in the system.
Are the bleeder screws at the highest point?

Last edited:
Looks like a correct setup for power disc's up top. Pictures of the actual calipers and disc's would help. Maybe just not blead properly or bad booster or master cylinder. Proper bore on the master cylinder is important. 4 wheel power drum brakes would have a different booster in 67.
By the way welcome from Alabama.

Looks like a correct setup for power disc's up top. Pictures of the actual calipers and disc's would help. Maybe just not blead properly or bad booster or master cylinder. Proper bore on the master cylinder is important. 4 wheel power drum brakes would have a different booster in 67.
Excellent, thanks for the help. Gives me a good starting point!

Welcome! You have the factory bendix disc brake booster, and master. By the looks of it, your car came with power disc brakes.
Maybe the last guy was trying to put newer calipers on it?
Thank you for the information. That helps! I’m going to focus on the master cylinder and booster.

Thank you for the information. That helps! I’m going to focus on the master cylinder and booster.

Welcome from NY.

Sounds like it has air in the system.
Are the bleeder screws at the highest point?
They are, I’m going to replace the lines next, pretty bad shape. and I’m going to do the booster and master cylinder next.

I would suggest doing the lines and master at the same time.
I would use synthetic fluid

Auto Transport Service
Back