• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 EL and the Radio

65 Dartman

Local time
12:47 PM
Reaction score
I don't have a 67 radio but do have a non-EL AM/FM that fits and plays quite nicely. Will there be any issues using this radio?

the stock AM-FM radios for the Chargers were not EL lit..they were bulb lit....if it fits and plays, leave it alone.

Nope, mine is a factory AM/FM non EL in my 67. Works just fine (for 1967 radio technology).

I don't have a 67 radio but do have a non-EL AM/FM that fits and plays quite nicely. Will there be any issues using this radio?

would like to see a pic of yer radio if ya could....

Only the '66 Chargers had the EL radio. Your '67 is with bulbs.

not entirely correct....only 66 & 67 Chargers that had factory AM radio were EL....all 66 & 67 AM-FM radios were bulb

Only the '66 Chargers had the EL radio. Your '67 is with bulbs.
Bryan, didn't we just post all of this in a similar thread? Why do people always think that?
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?62904-1966-Bright-Red-361-Survivor
66's were ALL EL.
And the ONLY thing that was not EL on a 67 was the shifter and clock if so equipped.
The original AM radios from the factory were EL in 66 and 67.
AM/FM was another story, they were bulb.

There was one radio option in 66 - AM Music Master model 233 pn 2661223
There were (EL) 2 options in 67 - the Music Master (as above) and Model 381 "Deluxe 5-1/2 watt 'Astrophonic' AM" pn 2864709.

The model 370 offered in 67 which was AM/FM and was not EL. pn 2661222

And then the non EL radio, (Coronet radio) is model 232 pn 2661221. Again, in Coronets only but looks the same as the EL version in appearance.

Factory AM/FM radio in 66, was not offered but installed by dealer possibly, and put in afterward.

They did offer AM/FM in 67 but again, as mentioned previously it was NOT EL.

not entirely correct....only 66 & 67 Chargers that had factory AM radio were EL....all 66 & 67 AM-FM radios were bulb

I can't speak with any authority, I don't have one of those cars. You who do, you're the experts. I just love the look of the dash in them though. I wish my road runner was EL.

I was just going by outside sources, guess I was mistaken. This was one of them.
http://www.chargersourceguide.com/radio.html

there are a number of "wrong" info in that source guide...

the reason so many Coronet radios that are bulb lit in 67's was that the needle was the weakest link in the EL lighting....Coronet radios were installed because if needle shorted out, the entire system would go dark, so dealer would put in the bulb radio in place of the EL one.

I got factory AM-FM in both 66's here...works fine..note chrome push buttons is original style

DCP_2380_zpsd941af53.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back